Try this cream of mushroom soup recipe and you’ll fall in love with it! It has a subtle garlic and thyme flavor and an extra-creamy texture.
You already know that I am a huge fan of creamy soups and that I also love mushrooms, so this combination is absolutely amazing for me! I was inspired by this recipe I found here and immediately decided to make it myself. As most creamy soups this cream of mushroom soup is a very easy recipe, ready in less than half an hour, so you won’t spend a lot of time in the kitchen either.
The crispy garlic-flavored baguettes go perfectly with this cream of mushroom soup recipe. You can also use croutons!
This cream of mushroom soup recipe can also be vegan, just skip the yogurt part. The taste will be pretty much the same.
Yogurt is great for garnish as it creates a lovely contrast and it also makes the cream of mushroom soup whiter. I used homemade kefir which is healthier. If you want to know more about milk kefir I found this useful article here.
- 1,5L water
- 1 medium celery root, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 300-350g Champignon/Portobello mushrooms, cut in chunks, stems removed
- 1 potato, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 medium parsley root, cut in chunks
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- sour cream, yoghurt - optional (I used homemade kefir)
- some parsley, for garnish
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add celery and parsley root, onion, potato - all cut in chunks.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let them boil for about 15 minutes then add the mushrooms, cut in chunks.
- Boil for another 10 minutes and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 400 F.
- Slice the baguette and brush each slice with some olive oil. Add some mashed garlic cloves on top of each slice and sprinkle with thyme and salt.
- Bake them for 15 minutes or until they're crisp.
- Now let's get back to the soup. Using a vertical blender, blend well until creamy. Add some yoghurt or sour cream if you want to make it whiter.
- Serve with parsley, sour cream and crisp baguette!