This vegan lasagna with mushrooms recipe will be loved even by the pickiest eaters! It’s the perfect, healthy comfort food!
This vegan lasagna recipe is definitely one of my all-time favorite recipes! I didn’t think it will be so good, but trust me, it’s even better than the original meat lasagna!
The wonderful thing about using mushrooms for lasagna is that they provide a rich, meaty texture that makes most people not miss the meat at all.
I substituted the shredded cheese on top that is usually sprinkled over lasagna with a lovely flavorful tomato and basil sauce. The combination is awesome and you won’t miss the cheesy texture at all! Of course, if you have some vegan cheese you can use it.
Give this vegan lasagna recipe a try! You will be amazed! 🙂
- whole wheat lasagna sheets (I used lasagna sheets that don't need to be boiled first)
- 1kg Portobello/button mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- 2 big onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ground pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp unrefined oil
- 1 400g can peeled tomatoes
- fresh or dry basil, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Grind the carrot, mushrooms, onions and pepper using your food grinder.
- Put the mixture in a large bowl and add breadcrumbs, thyme, sea salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add mixture and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Put some parchment paper on the bottom of the tray to avoid sticking and using any extra oil.
- Assemble the lasagna. Lay down one layer of noodles. Use a spatula to spread ½ of the mushroom mixture. Lay down a second layer of noodles. Spread rest of mixture. Lay down last layer of noodles.
- Cover casserole with some aluminum foil. It will cook faster.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Add peeled tomatoes and basil in your food processor and blend. Pour sauce on top of lasagna.