Vegetarian Hungarian Paprikás (Vegetable Stew with Dumplings) | Papricas vegetarian
The recipe below was taught to me but my mom. It is a spicy Hungarian recipe that I love! My grandma used to make this when I was little but she added chicken also. The original recipe contains meat but this is the vegetarian, healthier version. It’s called paprikás but it is simply a vegetable stew with dumplings. If you love spicy food this is one great recipe for you!
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 2 eggs
- sea salt, to taste
- 6-7 tbsp whole wheat flour (or more; the consistency has to be a little bit thicker than sour cream)
- 1 big carrot, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 Capia peppers, chopped
- 1 400g can peeled tomatoes (for the lazy ones, like myself )) , chopped ; you can use fresh tomatoes also
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour, dissolved in 1 glass of cold water ( add flour first, then pour water over it)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika
- 2 tbsp oil
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
Fill one pot with water and bring to a boil.
Whisk the egg whites until foamy.
Add egg yolks and salt.
Sprinkle one tbsp of flour at a time over the whisked eggs and incorporate.
When the consistency is creamy you’re done.
Now the cooking part:
Place a glass filled with cold water right beside you.
Take about 1/2 tbsp of dough and slowly place it in the boiling water. The dough will slip off the tablespoon. Don’t fill the whole tablespoon because the dumplings will double their size.
Dip the tablespoon in the glass with cold water.
Repeat the process.
Cover with a lid and let them boil over medium heat for 10 minutes.
When ready, remove from heat and leave them in the pot until you finish the stew.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
Add chopped onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add chopped peppers and sliced carrots.
Add salt, pepper.
Pour over 1/2 cup of water. (just enough to cover all ingredients)
Cover with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat.
Add chopped tomatoes, bay leaves and hot and sweet paprika.
Cook for another 10 minutes.
Add dissolved flour and stir for 2 minutes until incorporated.
Remove from heat and add chopped parsley.
Add dumplings and stir.
Latest posts by Gourmandelle (see all)
- Suc de pepene galben cu mere | Apples and Melon Refreshing Juice + Philips HR 1855 Juicer Review – May 22, 2013
- Paine umpluta cu branza si verdeturi | Whole Stuffed Bread with Cheese and Herbs – May 19, 2013
- Legume de primavara – rosii cherry, morcovi si cartofi noi la cuptor | Spring roasted veggies – May 17, 2013