What better way to celebrate spring than with a flavorful spring ricotta tart with edible weeds? I used spinach and 4 other weeds for this tart, and the result is astonishing!
flour butter ricotta spinach edible weeds eggs cow cheese
Did you know that not all weeds are toxic? Some of them are edible – and you may be surprised to see that the list is quite long.
Watercress – this is probably the most popular edible weed that I used in this tart. Also known as yellowcress, watercress is an aquatic plant part of the cabbage family.
Cheeseweed / Mallow – Cheeseweed, also called “little mallow”, is a hairy, short-lived perennial plant.
White goosefoot – In some places, white goosefoot (also known as wild spinach) is known as being a simple weed, but is very nutritious.
Garden orache / Atriplex Hortensis – This plant is also known as French spinach or mountain spinach and it’s part of the amaranth family.
I used Matador spinach as the main ingredient for this tart’s filling – around 80%. The rest of the 20% is made of the 4 edible weeds I’ve mentioned.
I also added some spring onion and green garlic for a touch of freshness.
In order to speed things up, you can use store-bought tart dough – it comes in super handy for this recipe!