Change language | Schimba limba: Romanian
Recipe for vegan chocolate muffins with caramelized walnuts, made healthier using carob powder, mollasses and whole grain flour.
A few days ago I was pinning on Pinterest, when I saw a vegan chocolate muffins recipe, similar to this one. I’m not a huge baking fan. I never follow exact measurements when cooking, and that’s why I don’t like baking very much. We all know that you have to follow the exact measurements when baking, or else you’ll fail big time! Eh, I decided to give it a try because I was badly craving something sweet.
This Vegan Chocolate Muffins with Caramelized Walnuts recipe is a healthier version of the basic chocolate muffins recipe. First of all, I made it vegan. I also used coconut butter, mollases, carob intead of cocoa, dark chocolate and whole grain flour. Btw, I never thought flaxmeal is such a good egg replacement!
These vegan chocolate muffins are pretty easy to make. The prep time can’t take longer than 15 minutes, and the baking takes about half an hour.
Hope you’ll give it a try!
- ½ cup coconut butter
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 Tbsps psyllium husks or ground flaxseed + 6 Tbsps water = awesome vegan egg replacement for 2 eggs!
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- a pinch of baking soda
- ½ cup carob powder
- ¾ cup whole grain flour of choice (I used whole wheat flour but you can use a GF one)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup chocolate flakes/chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease the muffin tins with some coconut butter. Alternatively, fit each with a paper liner.
- Prepare flax/psyllium eggs in a small bowl and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp of brown sugar in a skillet over low temperature. Add chopped walnuts and caramelize them.
- Place coconut butter in a large mixing bowl (it should be creamy so leave it at room temperature for a couple of minutes). Stir in the flax eggs, molasses, vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda and carob powder. Whisk to combine. Add the flour and mix well. Stir in caramelized walnuts.
- Scoop batter evenly into the muffin tins. Add a little at first, just enough to cover the bottoms. Add chocolate flakes/chips, then pour in the remaining batter. Be careful to fill only ¾ of each muffin tin.
- Bake for half an hour.