Make these vegan dark chocolate muffins with caramelized walnuts and be amazed by their rich chocolate flavor and moist texture!
A few days ago I was pinning on Pinterest when I saw a vegan dark chocolate muffins recipe, similar to this one. I’m not a huge baking fan because I can’t follow instructions and we all know that you have to follow the exact measurements when baking, or else you’ll fail big time! Anyway, I decided to give it a try because I was badly craving something sweet.
These vegan dark chocolate muffins have all kinds of healthy ingredients, such as coconut oil, molasses, raw cocoa, dark chocolate and whole grain flour. By the way, I never thought flax meal is such a good vegan egg replacement!
These vegan dark chocolate muffins are pretty easy to make. The prep time can’t take longer than 15 minutes, and the baking takes about half an hour. The caramelized walnuts are also a nice touch. They add some extra crunchiness. 🙂
Hope you’ll give it a try!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 Tbsps psyllium husks or 2 Tbsps ground flax seeds + 6 Tbsps water = awesome vegan egg replacement for 2 eggs!
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup soy milk
- 3/4 cup whole grain flour of choice , I used whole wheat flour but you can use a GF one
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, or other healthy sweetener
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate flakes/chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease the muffin tins with some coconut oil. Alternatively, fit each with a paper liner.
- Prepare flax/psyllium eggs in a small bowl and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp of brown sugar in a skillet over low temperature. Add chopped walnuts and caramelize them.
- Place coconut oil in a large mixing bowl (it should be creamy so leave it at room temperature for a couple of minutes). Stir in the flax eggs, soy milk, molasses, vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder. Whisk to combine. Add the flour and mix well. Stir in caramelized walnuts.
- Scoop batter evenly into the muffin tins. Add a little at first, just enough to cover the bottoms. Add chocolate flakes/chips, then pour the remaining batter. Be careful to fill only 3/4 of each muffin tin.
- Bake for half an hour.