Do you want to cool off on a hot summer day and enjoy an explosion of fresh and citrus flavors? Then you must try the orange pudding cake! This recipe is perfect to sweeten your taste buds and to enjoy a refreshing and delicious snack in the hot season.
This orange pudding cake is a perfect combination between the fluffy texture of a cake and the refreshing taste of fresh oranges, making it an ideal summer dessert.
This recipe contains eggs as the main ingredient without which it cannot be done, so its vegan conversion is a bit more complicated and practically involves the creation of a completely different recipe. However, if you are looking for a gluten-free option, you can easily modify it by replacing regular white flour with gluten-free flour, such as “Mix C Patisserie” from Schar. Thus, you can enjoy this delicious cake and enjoy it without worry even if you are gluten intolerant.
Do you want to try more desserts with oranges? Check these out:
- Citrus Upside Down Cake
- Portokalopita – Greek Orange Phyllo Cake
- Orange Almond Cake Infused with Sage
I did not decorate the cake. I was delighted by the strong orange color and I wanted it to be very clearly visible in the pictures. However, here are some topping ideas to perfectly complement the orange flavor in this dessert.
- You can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream next to a slice of cake. The sweet and delicate aromas of vanilla will combine wonderfully with the fresh taste of oranges, creating an explosion of flavor in every bite.
- Natural whipped cream is another successful topping.
- To intensify the citrus aroma, you can try decorating it with thin slices of fresh or caramelized oranges.
- And the chocolate flakes on top of the cake are an excellent idea, they are wonderful together with the tantalizing taste of oranges.
When it comes to this orange curd pudding cake presentation, you can try to be creative and play with the decorative elements. You can arrange orange slices in the shape of a flower or simply sprinkle it with orange zest.
With these ideas, you can take your orange pudding cake to the next level. I hope you will enjoy every piece and that you will find inspiration in these suggestions to create a truly special dessert!
So, I challenge you to try this orange pudding cake recipe and enjoy the perfect combination between the sweetness of the dessert and the freshness of the oranges. It is a perfect recipe for a summer day and to impress family and friends with its wonderful flavors.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 250 ml fresh orange juice
- 100 g sugar
- 50 g unsalted butter, cubed
- a pinch of salt
Pudding cake ingredients:
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 300 g white all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 100ml fresh orange juice
- 150 g butter, at room temperature
- Prepare the orange curd.
- You will need to cook this using the double-broiler / bain-marie method. Add some water into a sauce pan and a heatproof bowl in it. The hot water shouldn't touch the top of the bowl.
- In the top bowl, add the egg yolks, whole egg, cornstarch, sugar and salt. Whisk vigorously until fluffy and the sugar is almost melted. Now you can add it in the heated saucepan with water. Turn on the stove on medium heat and place the heatproof bowl inside the saucepan. Add the orange juice slowly, while mixing continuously. The mixture will start cooking slowly from the steam.
- After 10 minutes, you will notice the eggs are no longer foamy and the sauce thickens. Now you can use a spatula to mix slowly. You can stop as soon as you notice the sauce is thick enough to stay on the spatula (a couple of minutes).
- Remove from heat and add the butter cubes, one at a time. Mix well and set aside in the fridge.
- Continue with the pudding cake.
- Spray the baking dish with a little bit of olive oil.
- In a bowl, with the help of a hand mixer, whisk the butter and add orange juice, sugar, eggs, baking powder, flour and the orange zest, until you get a homogeneous and soft cream. Add the orange curd and mix in with a spatula.
- Transfer it to the pudding tray. Put the tray in the fridge for an hour.
- Heat the oven to 180 C (356F).
- Put the pudding in the oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 516Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 193mgSodium 235mgCarbohydrates 68gFiber 1gSugar 35gProtein 8g
I strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. I encourage you to make your own calculations using your preferred nutrition calculator.