Discover a healthy dietary alternative to popcorn – cauliflower popcorn! Enjoy a guilt-free snack with a crispy texture and cheesy flavor. Try the cauliflower popcorn now and let yourself be surprised by the perfect combination between health and taste!
If you are looking for new cauliflower recipes, I recommend this crispy cauliflower popcorn recipe. This delicious and innovative snack is perfect for those looking for healthy alternatives to traditional popcorn.
This is a vegan cauliflower popcorn with a cheesy flavor given by the nutritional yeast flakes and grated vegan cheese. You can also use parmesan if you’re a cheese fan, or any of the other seasonings ideas below.
How many calories are in popcorn cauliflower?
The calories in the cauliflower popcorn can vary depending on the size of the portion and the method of preparation. In general, baked cauliflower popcorn contains fewer calories than regular popcorn. A portion of approximately 1 cup contains around 100-150 calories, depending on the preparation method and the added ingredients. It is important to mention that these figures are estimates and may vary depending on the recipe and the proportions of the ingredients used.
Cauliflower fan? Check out these cauliflower recipes you should try:
Seasonings ideas for popcorn made of cauliflower
In case the flavor I used in the recipe did not convince you, try these delicious ideas to spice up the recipe and turn it into a really tasty snack.
- Exotic spices: You can use curry, garam masala or baharat, for a rich taste. Or try a mix of Tex-Mex spices, with chili, paprika and coriander, for a spicy note.
- Fresh aromatic herbs: Finely chop a few leaves of parsley, dill or coriander and sprinkle them over the cauliflower.
- Sweet-spicy combinations: If you like to experience contrasting tastes, try a sweet-spicy combination. You can season the cauliflower popcorn with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon and a little chili powder. You will get an explosion of flavors that will delight your taste buds.
- Condiments inspired by cultural specifics: Discover different cuisines and add an authentic touch to cauliflower popcorn. For example, you can use spices like sumac or za’atar from Mediterranean cuisine, or a Chinese spice mix like five spice or soy sauce.
- Cheese flavors: If you are a fan of cheese, you can try adding cheese flavors to the cauliflower popcorn. Parmesan or Grana Padano are best suited.
Tips and tricks for the best cauliflower popcorn
- Preparing the cauliflower: It is important to prepare the cauliflower in advance to get a crispy popcorn. Cut the cauliflower into florets of the right size (I like them as small as possible) and make sure they are well dried. You can use a kitchen towel to absorb excess moisture.
- Baking temperature and time: To get a crispy cauliflower popcorn, it is essential to adjust the baking temperature and time. Heat the oven to a high temperature, approximately 220-230 degrees Celsius. Spread the cauliflower florets in a single layer on a baking tray and bake them for about 20-25 minutes, or until they become golden and crispy.
- Serving the cauliflower popcorn: Once the cauliflower popcorn is ready, it’s time to enjoy it. You can serve the cauliflower popcorn as it is or with different sauces or dips. A yogurt sauce with garlic and dill or a spicy tomato sauce are the perfect choice to complement the flavors of the cauliflower popcorn.
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup grated parmesan (use vegan cheese for vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oven to 200 C (392F).
- Cover a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients for the seasoning and process until you get a powder texture.
- In a bowl, put the cauliflower florets and olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Add the seasoning powder.
- Mix so that all the pieces of cauliflower are covered with a layer of seasoning.
- Transfer the cauliflower to the prepared tray, and arrange in a single layer.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve the cauliflower popcorn warm with extra cheese on top or nutritional yeast flakes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 205Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 14mgSodium 671mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 4gSugar 2gProtein 9g
I strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. I encourage you to make your own calculations using your preferred nutrition calculator.