Change language | Schimba limba: Romanian
These salty polenta muffins with green peas stuffing are perfect as a party appetizer! Easy to make and vegetarian, they will be a healthy treat your guests will love.
I don’t know how I came up with the idea to make these muffins. It just popped into my head! I was thinking about polenta and how to make this dish a little bit more sophisticated and the result were these delicious, easy to make polenta muffins.
These polenta muffins are great served as party appetizers and don’t require a lot of cooking. You can use vegan cheese if you want or even tofu. I recommend smoked tofu, my favorite. Since I gave up dairy I’ve been eating it a lot!
So, what do you think about these polenta muffins? Try them and let me know how they turned out. If you want a somewhat different polenta muffins recipe, check out Angie’s! It looks great. Will try soon.
These salty polenta muffins with green peas stuffing are perfect as a party appetizer and are very easy to make.
- 3/4 cup organic cornmeal
- 1 cup grated teleme cheese
- 8 tbsps frozen or fresh green peas (1 tbsp per muffin)
- one medium onion, chopped
- a bunch of parsley
- a bunch of green onion or ramps (I used ramps)
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- sweet paprika
- 1-2 mushrooms, sliced (optional for garnish)
- Make polenta. Here’s how: Traditional Romanian Polenta, but use 3/4 cup cornmeal.
- When ready, add chopped parsley, green onion/ramps, 3/4 cup grated teleme cheese.
- Grease the muffin tins and pour polenta into them. Place in fridge. We want them to cool, so the polenta will become stiff.
- Steam the green peas.
- In a small skillet, heat very little olive oil (1/2 tbsp) and add chopped onion. Saute until golden. Add steamed green peas, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove polenta muffins from the muffin tins. Mace a hole in each muffin. Add sauteed green peas and onion. About 1 tbsp per muffin.
- Sprinkle some sweet paprika on top and the remaining grated teleme cheese.
- Place on an oven tray and reheat the muffins. They’re best served warm with melted cheese on top.
- _Optional: Garnish with grilled mushroom slices, or red bell pepper, tomatoes slices.. anything you want :) _