Are you curious to find out how to cook basmati rice perfectly each and every time? This article is your answer! You’ll find my best tips, methods, plus 10 inspiring recipes with basmati rice!
Basmati rice is one of the best, most commonly used types of rice in my kitchen, as well as worldwide. Basmati rice is a type of long-grained rice originally from India, the Himalayas, and Pakistan. You might’ve heard about it in (almost) all Indian recipes! The good news is that basmati rice can be found everywhere nowadays. It’s fluffy, it’s yummy and it’s extremely easy to cook.
Now let me tell you all my tips and information about how to make basmati rice so that the results are light and fluffy every time!
What is the ratio of water to basmati rice?
The ideal water-to-rice ratio is 1 : 1.5. This means you’ll have to use 1 and 1/2 cups of water for each cup of basmati rice. Simple and easy to remember!
How long do you soak basmati rice before cooking?
Soaking basmati rice in cold water before starting the cooking process is an optional, yet useful step for the perfect results. You can soak the rice for 30 minutes to 2 hours and this will reduce the cooking time! But keep in mind to reduce the water quantity by 2-3 tablespoons in case you decide to do it.
How to cook basmati rice
Now let’s get to the interesting part! Here’s the cooking process that will help you achieve perfectly fluffy basmati rice each and every time:
- Add the rice and water (see the ideal ratio above) to a pan on the stove, on medium heat;
- Bring to a simmer until the water is bubbly;
- Reduce the heat to medium low and place the lid on;
- Cook for 12 minutes if you’re using 1 cup of rice and 13 minutes for 2 cups of rice (or whattever time is indicated on the package)
- Turn the heat off, remove from the stove and let rest for 10 minutes
- Fluff the rice
Before jumping into the recipes, let me give you my precious tips for cooking basmati rice perfectly every time. These tips are fail-proof and easy to follow. I have learned these back when I started experimenting with cooking this type of rice:
- DO NOT RINSE THE RICE AT THE END! If you use the correct water to rice ratio, this step won’t be needed; moreover, it will cause mushy rice.
- Do not take the lid off the pan while the rice is on the stove! This will cause the steam to “escape”
- Don’t skip the resting time! After turning off the heat, make sure you leave the rice to “rest” in the pot for 10 minutes before serving to ensure that it’s not sticky or mushy.
- If you can, use a rubber paddle to fluff the rice instead of a fork. The rubber paddle will be more “gentle” with the rice grains and it won’t break them
- Make sure you don’t set the heat too high, or the rice will stick and cause the bottom of your pot to burn.
Now you know everything there is to know about how to cook basmati rice perfectly each and every time! Trust me, the process is super simple and once you do it 2 or 3 times, you’ll be a PRO!
In case you want to test out the technique I’m mentioning above and see if it really works, I say you start with some simple, quick and delicious vegan recipes. Luckily for you, I have already made my selection below. Scroll down to find my 10 favorite recipes with basmati rice. From Indian and Mexican recipes to some yummy stews, I’m absolutely convinced you’ll find something to love down below.
All you need to do to access these recipes is to click on the buttons or titles. Then, all you need to do is pick your favorite recipe, gather the ingredients, and head over to the kitchen.
How to Cook Basmati Rice Perfectly Every Time | Tips, Methods and Recipes
Are you curious to find out how to cook basmati rice perfectly each and every time? This article is your answer! You'll find my best tips, methods, plus 10 inspiring recipes with basmati rice!
Looking for a quick lunch? Here’s how to make an incredible chana butter paneer masala with basmati rice. Too flavorful to be true!
Potato burritos are a quick, delicious, and easy-to-make lunch. Here's how to make it step by step in no time! By the way, the recipe is 100% vegan and healthy!
Today we will talk about a vegan Mexican rice recipe that you cannot really find in Spain as you might have talked. What's so special about it?
This is the best vegan chicken tikka masala recipe you can make and it really resembles the original, meat-based recipe. It's ready in just 20 minutes and you can serve it over basmati rice. Enjoy!
This vegan biryani recipe is a delicious, Indian comfort recipe made with rice, a silky smooth sauce and a unique combination of amazing spices! It's also quite rich in proteins!
Here's a quick and easy chana masala recipe that's bursting with amazing flavors! Serve it with a side of rice and enjoy the wonderful taste of Indian spices.
This quick and easy zucchini dal recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes! Enjoy this simple, comfort meal with a side of rice or some flatbreads.
This smoky coconut rice with wood ear mushrooms and bamboo shoots recipe is one of the best Asian rice recipes I've ever made and eaten so far!
This healthy, vegan curry coconut thai rice recipe is bursting with great flavors and vibrant colors! It's easy to make and ready super-fast!