Tired of the basic hummus recipe? Try this basil pesto hummus recipe with a lovely, light green color and amazing taste! This is a perfect summer appetizer, vegan and delicious!
I’m so tired. I feel like all the stress and fatigue has accumulated and now I need to sleep for a whole week non-stop just to get over it and feel energized as I did before. I have two more exams and I’ll finally get a small vacation starting July. Can’t wait.
I plan on doing so many things this summer after I finish with my exams. I sometimes panic that I won’t be able to do everything I want to. I have some free time between exams, but all I want to do is lay in the bed and do nothing all day. That’s why from 11st to 20th July I will RELAX! After that, I’ll start working my ass off to make my dreams come true :).
That being said, I hope you’ll now understand why I have been neglecting you. We all have our stressful moments :). To make it up to you, I made a new hummus recipe and this time I experimented with basil pesto! What a great combination! This basil pesto hummus is one of the best hummus recipes I have tried so far. I really liked the roasted red bell pepper hummus and wild garlic hummus recipes, but because I am absolutely crazy about basil, I think this is my best hummus recipe so far!
If you’re looking for a light, flavorful summer hummus recipe, this basil pesto hummus is the one for you! Plus, it’s vegan, healthy and ready super-fast! What are you waiting for? 😀
P.S. You can make this basil pesto hummus using white beans too! I found this great recipe made by Tori on her blog.
P.S. I LOVE Lebanese cuisine. If you love it too, check out Ottolenghi: The Cookbook. His recipes are truly inspiring!
Basil Pesto Hummus
This basil pesto hummus recipe has a lovely, light green color and amazing taste!
- 1 can (800g | 28oz) chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 Tbsps chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsps vegan basil pesto, optional, but recommended - you can buy it or make it yourself, recipe below
- half a lemon's juice
- 2 Tbsps tahini paste
- 2-3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2-3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- Vegan Basil Pesto:
- 150g (1 cup) pine nuts, or other nuts, such as almonds, cashews or walnuts
- 40g (2 cups) fresh basil
- 5 garlic cloves
- 20g (⅓ cup) nutritional yeast
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- How to make raw vegan basil pesto:
- You can either use a mortar and pestle or a food processor to make the pesto. For smaller quantities, such as this one, I recommend using a mortar and pestle.
- Toast the nuts for a minute or two.
- Add the nuts in the mortar and mash them. Add the other ingredients, except olive oil, and mash them too until they have a paste-like consistency.
- Add olive oil, until the texture is just right.
- Basil Pesto Hummus:
- Put all ingredients in your food processor.
- Process on high speed for 5 minutes until hummus is extra-smooth.
- Add a little bit of ice-cold water in order to make it as smooth as you want.
- Serve and drizzle with olive oil.
Amount Per Serving Calories 382Total Fat 31.8gCarbohydrates 12gProtein 12g
Monday 25th of November 2019
This recipe was a real hit as an party appetizer! My vitamix wants more liquids to blend properly, so I add more oil (about double), but could use water as original recipe suggests. I also add a couple of minced hot peppers (such as jalapeños) for a little extra tantalizing. The recipe is pretty forgiving, so you can add more of any flavor you prefer and it still comes out great.
Thursday 16th of January 2020
Thank you! Happy to hear you liked the recipe!
Saturday 21st of April 2018
Thanks for this hummus recipe.. I love basil hummus too! I just made some without pine nuts but will add later.. It is delicious.
Tuesday 1st of May 2018
Glad you liked it! :D Pine nuts are optional. :)
Monday 29th of June 2015
Am vegan always looking foe good recipes. Love hummus.