Tired of the basic hummus recipe? Try this basil pesto hummus recipe with a lovely, light green color and amazing taste! This is a perfect summer appetizer, vegan and delicious!
I’m so tired. I feel like all the stress and fatigue has accumulated and now I need to sleep for a whole week non-stop just to get over it and feel energized as I did before. I have two more exams and I’ll finally get a small vacation starting July. Can’t wait.
It’s time to stop worrying about what you’re going to eat! I created the meal planner app to help you! Get your personalized meal plan with delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly recipes! GET YOUR MEAL PLAN!
I plan on doing so many things this summer after I finish with my exams. I sometimes panic that I won’t be able to do everything I want to. I have some free time between exams, but all I want to do is lay in the bed and do nothing all day. That’s why from 11st to 20th July I will RELAX! After that, I’ll start working my ass off to make my dreams come true :).
That being said, I hope you’ll now understand why I have been neglecting you. We all have our stressful moments :). To make it up to you, I made a new hummus recipe and this time I experimented with basil pesto! What a great combination! This basil pesto hummus is one of the best hummus recipes I have tried so far. I really liked the roasted red bell pepper hummus and wild garlic hummus recipes, but because I am absolutely crazy about basil, I think this is my best hummus recipe so far!
If you’re looking for a light, flavorful summer hummus recipe, this basil pesto hummus is the one for you! Plus, it’s vegan, healthy and ready super-fast! What are you waiting for? 😀
P.S. You can make this basil pesto hummus using white beans too! I found this great recipe made by Tori on her blog.
P.S. I LOVE Lebanese cuisine. If you love it too, check out Ottolenghi: The Cookbook. His recipes are truly inspiring!
- 1 800g(28oz) can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 Tbsps chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsps vegan basil pesto (Optional, but recommended. You can buy it or make it yourself, recipe below)
- half a lemon's juice
- 2 Tbsps tahini paste
- 2-3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2-3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- Vegan Basil Pesto:
- 1 cup pine nuts (or other nuts, such as almonds, cashews or walnuts)
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 5 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- How to make raw vegan basil pesto:
- You can either use a mortar and pestle or a food processor to make the pesto. For smaller quantities, such as this one, I recommend using a mortar and pestle.
- Toast the nuts for a minute or two.
- Add the nuts in the mortar and mash them. Add the other ingredients, except olive oil, and mash them too until they have a paste-like consistency.
- Add olive oil, until the texture is just right.
- Basil Pesto Hummus:
- Put all ingredients in your food processor.
- Process on high speed for 5 minutes until hummus is extra-smooth.
- Add a little bit of ice-cold water in order to make it as smooth as you want.
- Serve and drizzle with olive oil.