Do you love potatoes? If yes, then you definitely have to try this Spanish patatas bravas recipe! These roasted potatoes are served with tomato and garlic sauces on top and are the ultimate comfort meal!
Patatas bravas is a popular Spanish potato recipe that is often served in bars in tapas. It is made of white potatoes, cut into cubes or irregular shapes, which are fried in oil and served with spicy tomato sauce and aioli – a white garlic sauce.
The patatas bravas recipe is very easy to make. I recommend using potatoes with very thin skin, as frying them with their skins on makes their texture so much better. The potatoes are first boiled for a couple of minutes, just to make them tender, and are then patted dry and fried.
The authentic patatas bravas recipe requires deep frying, but you can make them just as good by using only 4 tablespoons of oil and roasting them in the pan while stirring from time to time.
These potatoes are then served with two toppings – spicy tomato sauce and aioli. To make it simple, I used a spicy ketchup for the tomato sauce and instead of aioli which is not normally vegan, I used a mix of vegan mayo and minced garlic cloves. I also added some fresh chopped parsley on top.
To make these patatas bravas taste even better, I sprinkled them with smoked paprika and chili powder while roasting. The subtle smoky flavor really makes a difference! 🙂
New potatoes are in season right now so I highly recommend you go to the farmers’ market and buy some baby potatoes for this recipe. Those tiny baby potatoes don’t even need to be cut and you can roast them whole! 🙂 Plus, I think they are sweeter and taste so much better than regular white potatoes.
Hope you’ll like my versions of vegan patatas bravas. Give this recipe a try and don’t forget to leave me a feedback in the comment section below. I’d love to hear how it turned out for you.
- 5 large potatoes, washed and cubed
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic sauce - mix 2 Tbsp vegan mayo with 2 minced garlic cloves
- In a large pot, add the peeled potatoes and cover them with water.
- Bring to boil on high heat. When it starts to boil, reduce the heat to low and let them cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the boiled potatoes, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder, and cook stirring from time to time.
- Cook for 10-15 more minutes until golden.
- Top with parsley, ketchup and garlic sauce.
Amount Per Serving Calories 605Total Fat 31.8gCarbohydrates 67gProtein 12.4g