Make these stuffed red bell peppers with brown rice and mushrooms and even your non-veg friends will love them! This is a budget-friendly recipe too!
I love stuffed veggies and I am also a huge fan of red bell peppers. Mom and grandma used to make this recipe very often when I was little, but of course, then they were using ground meat as stuffing.
Because I love this stuffed red bell peppers recipe so much, I made a vegetarian version for it. If you want the stuffing to have a more meaty texture, you should add more button mushrooms and just a bit less rice. Anyway, the quantities I used for the stuffing are just perfect. You’ll see! 🙂
Simple and easy, this vegetarian stuffed red bell peppers recipe is just perfect for a family lunch or dinner. It’s very filling and healthy too. If you don’t mind some extra calories, you should pour some sour cream on top…delicious!
- 5 red bell peppers
- 100g (½ cup) brown rice
- 1 big onion, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 180g (2 cups) chopped button mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped dill
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1-2 tomatoes
- ⅓ tsp ground coriander
- ⅓ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- sour cream, optional
- sea salt, to taste
- Rinse the red bell peppers. Remove the upper part and scoop out the seeds.
- Heat some oil in a large saucepan.
- Add chopped onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped mushrooms, grated carrot, sea salt, coriander, and paprika. Saute for 7 more minutes.
- Add rice and 1 cup of water.
- Let it cook for 10-15 minutes, then add chopped dill.
- Add 2-2 ½ tbsp of stuffing in each bell pepper. Do not stuff them until they’re full. The rice is not yet completely cooked and we don’t want any cracks in the bell peppers.
- Add 1 tomato slice over each bell pepper; it will act as a lid so the rice won’t rise too much.
- Place the bell peppers in a large pot. Add water just enough to cover ¾ of bell peppers.
- Cover with a lid.
- Let them boil for 30-35 minutes over medium heat.
- When almost ready, add 4-5 tbsp tomato sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and serve!
Sour cream goes perfectly with stuffed red bell peppers! Pour 1 tbsb of sour cream on your red bell pepper and get ready to be amazed!
Amount Per Serving Calories 211Total Fat 7.4gCarbohydrates 30gProtein 6.3g