This hearty zucchini casserole recipe is perfect for those of you who are either cooking for your family or don’t want to cook something different each day. It has 9 servings and it’s made with budget-friendly ingredients.
If you don’t want to cook each day, casseroles are the perfect recipes you’ll want to make. Any average casserole will take you about an hour to make, but it will feed between 9 and 12 people, so it’s definitely worth it!
I usually make a casserole when I have a very busy week ahead and don’t have time to cook something different each day. This zucchini casserole fed two people for 3 days! We ate it with different sides, so we wouldn’t get bored of the taste, such as pickled veggies, different salads, white sauces, red sauces etc.
The filling resembles my mushroom pilaf a lot! It is creamy but has a meaty texture as well. Hope you’ll like it!
If you want to try another zucchini casserole, this time with cheese, check out my older recipe here.
This hearty zucchini casserole recipe is perfect for those of you who are either cooking for your family or don't want to cook something different each day. It has 8 servings and it's made with budget-friendly ingredients.
- 4 zucchinis
- 500g (17 oz) button mushrooms
- 200g (1 cup) rice, I used risotto rice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 3 Tbsp psyllium husks, or replace them with either ground flax seeds or two medium eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 6g (½ cup) parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup dill, chopped
- 2 Tbsps oil
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Chop button mushrooms and dice the onion.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and all spices. Cover with a lid and let them cook for 10 minutes.
- Add rice and 2 cups of water. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Check if the rice has absorbed all liquid. Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed (max. 10 more minutes).
- Taste and check if it's salty enough. Don't worry if the rice is slightly undercooked. It's ok. It will cook more in the oven. Add herbs and psyllium husks (or replacements mentioned above) and mix.
- Using a peeler, start peeling the zucchinis.
- You'll see that the middle part of each zucchini cannot be turned into ribbons. Don't throw that away. Cut it in small cubes and mix it with the mushroom-rice composition.
- Grease an oven tray, like the one in the photos and place half of the zucchini ribbons on it.
- Add the mushroom and rice composition and spread evenly.
- Top with the rest of the zucchini peels.
- Season with some salt and pepper and spray with some oil.
- Bake in the oven at 375F for 20 minutes.
Tip: If you want to slice it properly, without any mess and crumbles, let it cool a little bit.
Amount Per Serving Calories 184Total Fat 5.5gCarbohydrates 27.2gProtein 6.3g
Sunday 29th of July 2018
Amazing casserole! Made it with brown mushrooms and it was a blast. Will try it again soon! :)
Saturday 11th of August 2018
Thank you! So glad you liked it!
Thursday 29th of September 2016
Hi I'm new to your blog, the recipes look very good. I made1 of yours that I found on another site, love it. I'm curious if you have nutrition information for your recipes? Thanks John
Sunday 2nd of October 2016
Thank you, John! I don't have nutritional info, because I don't encourage counting calories, but you can use the cronometer web app to count them if you want. :)
Monday 19th of September 2016
Looks SO good! :)
Wednesday 21st of September 2016
Thank you, Sandra! Hope you'll give it a try! :D