Here’s how you can make the popular quiche Lorraine – vegan! This delicious vegan quiche Lorraine has the perfect ‘cheesy’ and ‘buttery’ texture of the original French recipe without any dairy!
It’s time to show you the savory French recipes I have prepared for you as part of this month’s French cuisine challenge! Quiche Lorraine is one of the most popular French recipes and you’ve probably heard about it, but here are some details you may not know about this wonderful dish.
First of all, a quiche is a savory open tart with a pastry crust and filled with eggs, milk or cream, cheese, meat, seafood or vegetables. It can be served hot or cold, as a main dish or appetizer and it’s a popular party food served all over the world.
Quiche is known as a classic French dish but it actually originated in Germany. The word itself is derived from the German word ‘kuchen’ which means cake. The origins of quiche date back to the medieval times, in Lothringen, a city under German rule which the French later renamed Lorraine.
The original quiche Lorraine recipe is a tart with a filling made with eggs, cream, cheese, and bacon. If you add onions to this mix you can transform the quiche Lorraine into quiche Alsacienne. The quiche crust was originally made from bread dough but nowadays a puff pastry or shortcrust is used.
Hope you’ll like my vegan version of this world-known recipe! Give it a try and tell me how it was! 😀
- For the quiche crust:
- 2 ¼ cups (~280g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (~120g) coconut oil, soft but not liquid
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ cup ice water
- For the filling:
- 2 cups (~450g) spinach leaves
- 1 cup (~250g) sliced smoked tofu (cut it into small bits like you would use bacon in the original recipe)
- 1 large leek, sliced ( just the white part)
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ cup vegan mozzarella, shredded (homemade or store-bought)
- 1½ cups (~180g) chickpea flour
- 2¼ cups (~500ml) water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add coconut oil and pulse a few times until the mixture is crumbly. Add water, and mix until the dough comes together so you could easily shape it into a ball.
- Put your dough on a flour dusted surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it into a circle - the shape of your quiche pan.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Grease a quiche pan with some oil and add the dough evenly. Prick the bottom with a fork and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove it from the oven and set it aside as you prepare the filling.
- In a skillet, heat some oil over medium heat and add the sliced leeks. Saute for about 2 minutes, add spinach leaves and saute for 3 minutes more. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add chickpea flour and water, whisk together until well combined.
- Add oil, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, nutmeg, turmeric, and thyme.
- Put the sauteed veggies, sliced tofu and half of the shredded vegan mozzarella into the baked quiche crust. Pour the chickpea mixture over. Top with the rest of shredded vegan mozzarella.
- Let it bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.