This is the easiest vegan French toast recipe you can try! It’s ready in 10 minutes and it’s way healthier than the original recipe… but just as delicious!
Vegan crepes, now vegan French toast, this week’s I’ve been eating like royalty for breakfast! 😀 I could get used to this! This is the second recipe part of my French cuisine challenge this month. I’ve started it with something sweet but I’ll soon post the savory recipes too. Psst…vegan quiche Lorraine is next! 😀
I always loved French toast as this was a frequently made dessert when I was little. However, the original recipe is not particularly healthy. I tried to make it as similar as possible to the original French toast but replace some ingredients and use healthier versions of them, like coconut oil, brown sugar, whole-grain bread, etc.
This recipe is dairy and egg free and you can easily make it gluten-free by simply using a type of GF bread. The multigrain bread by Schar would be perfect for this! Also, it’s easy to make it refined sugar-free by using a healthy sugar substitute. I didn’t have any coconut sugar left, but you can use any sugar alternatives you want.
It’s time to stop worrying about what you’re going to eat! I created the meal planner app to help you! Get your personalized meal plan with delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly recipes! GET YOUR MEAL PLAN!
The texture given by the eggs in the original recipe was achieved using tapioca flour, which combined with liquids and heated turns sticky.
Hope you’ll like my 10-mins vegan French toast recipe! 😀
- 4 slices of a day-old bread (I used whole grain bread with seeds)
- ¾ cup almond milk (or any other kind of veg milk of choice)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp tapioca flour
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- a dash of vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- coconut oil, for frying
- For topping:
- shredded coconut
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk, brown sugar, tapioca flour, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip a slice of the bread into the mixture and coat it well on each side. Place it in the skillet and fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown
- Serve with fresh strawberries, scoops of cantaloupe and shredded coconut.