Change language / Schimba limba: Română
This is Russian inspired salad is called A La Russe salad, also known by its French name – Olivier Salad. This is the vegan version of the Boeuf Salad.
This is a special recipe for me because I only eat this salad once a year! It’s a tradition for us Romanians to make this salad on Christmas and New Year’s Eve. The traditional Boeuf Salad is usually prepared here during the holidays. The A La Russe salad version is usually made without meat and can be easily veganized by using no eggs and vegan mayo.
I’m not a fan of mayo and I tried to make this salad as healthy as possible. The sour flavor of pickles blends perfectly with the sweetness of the corn, carrots and potatoes.
I hope you like this simple and easy world-known recipe – now made healthy!
- 5 big red skin potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 cup peas , canned, boiled
- 1/2 cup corn , canned, boiled
- a jar of pickled cucumbers – you’ll be using about 10-12 pickles, more or less – it depends on their size;
- a jar of pickled red bell peppers – you’ll be using about 10-12 slices, halves – it depends on their size; *
- 2 Tbsps good quality mustard
- 3 Tbsps lemon juice
- 3 Tbsps unrefined olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- vegan low fat mayonnaise – for garnish
- Boil the unpeeled potatoes until tender.
- In another pot, boil the carrots until ready.
- Peel the boiled potatoes and chop them in small pieces. Chop the boiled carrot.
- Chop the pickled cucumbers and bell peppers.
- Place chopped veggies, corn and peas in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place 1/3 of a boiled peeled potato in another jar – you’ll be using it to make the mayo. Mash the one third of the potato. Place it in a bowl and add olive oil, mustard, 3 tbsp lemon juice and 3 tbsp water. Mix ingredients very well. (skip this if you use mayonnaise).
- Add the mayonnaise made in the steps above over the veggies in the bowl and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with low fat mayo (optional) and decorate as you please.
I don’t know the exact quantities for pickles; add as much as you like.. Also, save some for decorating the salad.
If you want you can replace the lemon’s juice, mustard and oil with mayo.
*I used an egg to decorate but you can use pickles or bell pepper if you’re vegan. The recipe is egg-free.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
Have you tried this vegan, low fat salad? Let me know in the comments section, below.