This is Russian inspired salad is called A La Russe salad, also known by its French name – Olivier Salad. This is the vegan version of the Boeuf Salad.
This is a special recipe for me because I only eat this salad once a year! It’s a tradition for us Romanians to make this salad on Christmas and New Year’s Eve. The traditional Boeuf Salad is usually prepared here during the holidays. The A La Russe salad version is usually made without meat and can be easily veganized by using no eggs and vegan mayo.
It’s time to stop worrying about what you’re going to eat! I created the meal planner app to help you! Get your personalized meal plan with delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly recipes! GET YOUR MEAL PLAN!
I’m not a fan of mayo and I tried to make this salad as healthy as possible. The sour flavor of pickles blends perfectly with the sweetness of the corn, carrots and potatoes.
I hope you like this simple and easy world-known recipe – now made healthy!
- 5 big red skin potatoes
- 2 carrots
- ½ cup peas (canned, boiled)
- ½ cup corn (canned, boiled)
- a jar of pickled cucumbers – you’ll be using about 10-12 pickles, more or less – it depends on their size;
- a jar of pickled red bell peppers – you’ll be using about 10-12 slices (halves) – it depends on their size; *
- 2 Tbsps good quality mustard
- 3 Tbsps lemon juice
- 3 Tbsps unrefined olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- vegan low fat mayonnaise – for garnish
- Boil the unpeeled potatoes until tender.
- In another pot, boil the carrots until ready.
- Peel the boiled potatoes and chop them in small pieces. Chop the boiled carrot.
- Chop the pickled cucumbers and bell peppers.
- Place chopped veggies, corn and peas in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place ⅓ of a boiled peeled potato in another jar – you’ll be using it to make the mayo. Mash the one third of the potato. Place it in a bowl and add olive oil, mustard, 3 tbsp lemon juice and 3 tbsp water. Mix ingredients very well. (skip this if you use mayonnaise).
- Add the mayonnaise made in the steps above over the veggies in the bowl and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with low fat mayo (optional) and decorate as you please.
If you want you can replace the lemon’s juice, mustard and oil with mayo.
*I used an egg to decorate but you can use pickles or bell pepper if you’re vegan. The recipe is egg-free.