This vegetarian Serbian rice pilaf is an easy and quick rice recipe, perfect for cooking on a budget or for big family menus.
I made this vegetarian Serbian rice pilaf recipe especially for those of you who are always busy and want something healthy to eat. This Serbian rice pilaf recipe is easy to make and feeds 8+ people!
This Serbian rice pilaf recipe was a very common meal during my childhood. I loved and still love its vibrant colors, fresh taste and creamy texture. Back then my mother used to make it with chicken broth, but it is just as good with vegetable broth.
What other ingredients do you use for rice pilafs? I love rice and I’d like to try different recipes as well.
Tips for cooking pilaf: How do you know how much water you need to add? Easy! 3 times the amount of rice. It’s a 1:3 ratio. Also, boil the rice only for a couple of minutes then remove from heat and cover with a lid. This way it will absorb all the water and you’ll never have to worry again about burning the rice.
P.S. Try my favorite rice pilaf recipe – mushroom rice pilaf!
- 1 cup rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 big onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 big red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- sea salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 2 Tbsps oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add chopped onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add grated carrot and diced pepper.
- Add the rice along with 3 cups of water. Stir until all ingredients are evenly spread. Add paprika, salt and pepper.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and cover with a lid. Let it rest until all water is absorbed by the rice (10-15 minutes).
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve!
Do you like rice pilafs? Try this Brown Rice Mushroom Pilaf!