This vegan meatball stew recipe has the perfect, protein-rich “meatballs”, made with peas, chickpeas and spices, and a delicious, semi-sweet and flavorful red sauce. Give it a try!
Do you know those awesome vegan meatballs Ikea sells? I absolutely love them! Each time I go to Ikea, I buy one large pack of frozen, vegan meatballs. They are so versatile! They’re delicious with mashed potatoes and gravy, too!
Because I really miss them and don’t go to Ikea that often, I decided to make my own version of Ikea-inspired vegan meatballs. 🙂
I used chickpeas, green peas, corn, awesome spices and the result exceeded my expectations! They are pretty much the same as their original counterparts! Love them! I decided to add them in a delicious vegan meatball stew, made with tomatoes, bell peppers and for some splash of color, green peas.
This takes a bit longer to make (about an hour or so) but it’s definitely worth it! It makes around 6 servings, maybe more. It’s perfect for families because it’s budget friendly!
Also, you can make more vegan meatballs at once and freeze them. That’s what I usually do. I freeze them individually on a tray, after baking then put the balls in Ziplocs. Then, every time I crave vegan meatballs I just take a bag out of the freezer and reheat them. Delicious every time! 🙂
- Vegan "Meatballs":
- 350g (2 cups) boiled chickpeas, you can use canned chickpeas
- 130g (1 cup) green peas, if you use frozen peas, let them thaw first
- 80g (½ cup) sweet corn
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 Tbsps chopped dill
- 5 Tbsps chopped parsley
- 3 Tbsps psyllium husks
- 3 Tbsps nutritional yeast
- 30g (⅓ cup) chickpea flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 225g (1 cup) tomato paste
- 400g (2 ½ cups) green peas
- 1 can (400g | 15 oz) peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 90g (1 cup) sliced bell peppers, I used a frozen mix
- 2 Tbsps oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- some water
- Add all the ingredients for the vegan meatballs in a food processor and blend until a paste is formed. You can use a vertical blender as well. The paste doesn't have to be smooth. You can leave some whole peas and half mashed chickpeas and corn in there too. It gives the meatballs a nicer texture.
- Place it in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the sauce. Add oil in a large pan. Add onion and saute it for 3-4 minutes.
- Add sliced bell peppers and peas. Pour in some water, about 1/2 cup. Let them cook with a lid on for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add more water if the sauce is too thick.
- Take the meatballs composition out of the fridge. Shape the meatballs and place them on a greased oven tray. Spray them with some oil, or just grease your hands and cover teach ball in a little bit of oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400F.
- When ready, just add them to the sauce.
Amount Per Serving Calories 455Total Fat 9gCarbohydrates 69.4gProtein 24g