Even if you’re not a big fan of Indian food, you will absolutely love this eggplant dhal recipe! It’s easy to make, budget-friendly and perfect for a family dinner!
I can’t say I love Indian food, but I enjoy making some Indian comfort recipes from time to time. What inspired me to make this recipe was this awesome book – Vegetables | From the Earth to the Table. I absolutely LOVE it! I found an onion dhal recipe in it and adapted it to my taste. Eggplants really go great with this! 🙂
In case you didn’t know, dhal is an Indian recipe made with red lentils. It’s something like a lentil stew if you want to call it this way.
I really enjoyed its texture and mildly spicy flavor. I will definitely make this again! Eggplants give it a more “meaty” texture and it’s not all mushy. I actually didn’t expect to like this eggplant dhal that much, but I ate double servings of it! It was all gone in a day.
This eggplant dhal goes great served with these gluten-free vegan parathas. Hope you’ll like it! 🙂
- 100g (½ cup) red lentils
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 4 Tbsps sunflower oil
- 1 small bunch of scallions, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsps turmeric
- 300ml (10 oz) water
- sea salt, to taste
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onion, garlic and scallions and lightly fry them over medium heat, stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all spices.
- Add lentils and water.
- Add eggplant and cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- When lentils are tender, add salt to taste and mix gently.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsley on top.
Amount Per Serving Calories 227Total Fat 14.8gCarbohydrates 19gProtein 4.5g