Change language / Schimba limba: Română
This gluten-free sour cherry cake is an easy and extremely delicious dessert which will always bring back sweet childhood memories! Give it a try!
I LOVE this sour cherry cake! My grandma used to make this when I was little. Now my mom makes it from time to time, sometimes she replaces sour cherries with berries, and recently my mother-in-law surprised me with it! 🙂
Ever since I went gluten-free she was so nice to start baking with gluten-free flour and make me gluten-free desserts and bread, every time I visit her. This last weekend I couldn’t resist and asked her for permission to post this amazing recipe on the blog.
This may not be the healthiest dessert you can make, but it is definitely one of the best ever! It’s so simple and in its simplicity, you will be amazed by the extra-soft and spongy texture, lovely colors and sour-sweet taste.
I will definitely try to make this sour cherry cake a bit healthier. This time, I posted the original recipe my mother-in-law made, but I am looking forward to trying it with stevia powder as a sweetener. I’m sure it will be just as great!
- 5 eggs
- 250g (2 cups) gluten-free flour mix, by Schar
- 250g (2 ¼ cups) powdered sugar, this is what my mother-in-law used. Of course, you can use stevia powder, coconut sugar, or any other healthy sweetener you want.
- 500g (17.5 oz) sour cherries, pits removed - save some for decorating
- 10g (2 tsp) baking powder
- 3 Tbsps sunflower oil
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks.
- Whisk egg whites until you get a stiff white foam.
- Add sugar and mix lightly using a spatula.
- Add the flour, egg yolks, oil, and baking powder and mix gently until all is well incorporated.
- Grease a ~25x40cm pan with some oil and dust it with sugar.
- Add pitted sour cherries.
- Pour cake composition over.
- Bake in an oven at 180C/375F for about 25 minutes. Check with a toothpick if ready. It should be slightly brown on top.
- When ready, remove it from the oven and add some more sour cherries on top. Dust it with sugar and let it cool a bit before slicing and serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 102Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 78mgSodium 30mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 4g
I strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. I encourage you to make your own calculations using your preferred nutrition calculator.