If you love mushrooms as much as I do, then you will absolutely adore this creamy mushroom pie! It’s simple, it’s comforting and delicious but above all – it’s vegan and healthy!
What’s better than a hot, fresh pie? I bet you can’t think of too many things that fit that description right off the bat. Pies are comforting, delicious meals, whether you’re having a slice for dessert, or treating your family to a savory, veggie-packet pie as a main course. That’s the beautiful thing about pies, that they are not limited to be dessert only!
If you choose to make a delicious savory pie instead of a sweet pie, you still have many options to choose from. You might want to make a meat pie, or a cheese pie, or something in-between. Even if you are vegetarian or vegan there are plenty of options for pie-making in the savory department.
Mushrooms are a favorite ingredient among many who prefer a meatless diet, and not simply because they do a wholesome job of replacing meat in so many recipes, but also because they can be quite delicious in their own right when cooked appropriately! 🙂
Today we’re going to make a savory creamy mushroom pie, which is very well suited for a vegetarian lifestyle, but that doesn’t mean that meat lovers won’t agree with this pie – quite the contrary! This is a savory, delicious recipe that you can try making at home when you have a spare pie crust in the fridge, or whenever you are in the mood for a comforting meal of delicious mushrooms, sauce, and herbs.
The cooking process of this pie recipe is nothing too complicated, and if you’ve made any type of pie before you should have no problem powering through it. You have to start by sauteing the onions and the mushrooms in a pan, along with olive oil (or vegan butter – remember, this can be customized for everybody!). Add garlic sparingly in the sautee mix.
Garlic makes everything better in vegan recipes, or at least that’s my humble opinion! Add as much chopped garlic as you want, as roasted garlic gives off a powerful flavor, but you have to be careful not to indulge yourself too much, otherwise, this might become a garlic pie! 🙂
The vegan sauce plays an important part in the creaminess and overall taste and texture of this mushroom pie. If you’re making the vegetarian version, you’ll have to use eggs and actual cheese. A common filling is made with eggs, sour cream, milk, and cream beaten together. After that, you can add freshly ground pepper, a pinch of salt, and cardamom or nutmeg, but most of these are optional, even though any savory pie will benefit from a healthy dose of your favorite spices.
You might be wondering what mushrooms are most suited for this recipe! I find that usually, you need to have a healthy base of either cremini or butter mushrooms, as both of these work wonders for a mushroom pie base. But for today’s recipe, I used one of my favorite mushroom combos: button mushrooms and Oyster mushrooms!
You can experiment here to see what you like best, but I don’t advise to just put all kinds of mushrooms into the mix, mindlessly. You might make your pie overly fatty, and that’s not really the point here. The point is to have a very nice and fine mushroom pie that is creamy and filling but also light and delicate. It takes a bit of work to nail that texture, but I’m sure that if you follow the recipe, you’ll ace it! 🙂
After you have completed your mushroom masterpiece, it is time to serve it. This mushroom creamy pie goes best for a lot of special occasions. It is well suited for Christmas – the solace of vegetarians on the Christmas table, more like – and other holidays.
Plus, your whole family can enjoy this pie! Grandma might even congratulate you! Even the biggest meat lover at the table will ask for seconds from this delicious mushroom pie. The little ones will love this mushroom pie, especially if you serve it to them with some yummy sauce or whatever else they love. This creamy mushroom pie is actually a pretty healthy treat for them, and you can definitely sneak a slice into their lunchbox. I bet you they aren’t going to complain about that!
I hope you will enjoy making this creamy pie recipe! Please tell me how it went and how everyone liked it!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 70g (1 cup) button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Oyster mushroom, sliced
- 20g (¼ cup) dry wild mushrooms
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- For the sauce:
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 240ml (1 cup) coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- For the pastry:
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry
- 2 Tbsp vegan milk
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Add the dry mushrooms in a medium bowl. Cover with boiled water and set aside to soak for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the water, chop and set aside. Save 1 cup of water for later.
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and saute for 2 minutes, to soften.
- Add all the mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and stir for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the dairy-free butter on medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir until well combined.
- Slowly add in the milk, mushroom water, and whisk until you have a smooth, thick mixture.
- Stir in the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cooked shallots, garlic and mushrooms with the sauce and leave to cool for about 7 minutes.
- In a baking pan, add the mushroom mixture, cover with pastry, brush with vegan milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- With a sharp knife, make cuts on top of the pie.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden on top.
Amount Per Serving Calories 300Total Fat 19gCarbohydrates 26gFiber 1gSugar 3g