This is the best cabbage stew you will ever make! It is comfort food at its finest with a strong smoky flavor and a perfect blend of spices. Try the recipe today!
This was SO GOOD!! We ate the whole stew in just one day and the next day I cooked it again! Yes.. it was THAT good!
This vegetarian cabbage stew is a very simple recipe. No complicated techniques or expensive ingredients are needed, and the result will be beyond your expectations! I think its simplicity adds even more value to it. The textures, flavors, everything blends perfectly together. You’ll love it too, I’m sure!
This cabbage stew recipe is vegan, but it remembered me of the traditional Romanian cabbage stew with sausage that is also similar to the French cassoulet recipe. The smoked tofu and smoked paprika make it taste exactly like that!
So, here it is, my easy cabbage stew recipe… the best cabbage stew you will ever make! Enjoy! 🙂
P.S. I think I’ll try this cabbage soup recipe next. It says it’s good for weight-loss too! 🙂
Smoky Cabbage Stew
This is the best cabbage stew you will ever make! You will fall in love with cabbage after you've tried this recipe!
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 large can (800g | 28oz) Cannellini beans
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 5 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 3 tsps smoked paprika
- 2 tsps dry thyme
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 5 Tbsps tomato paste
- 4 Tbsps oil
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 120ml (½ cup) water, plus more if needed
- 250g (1 cup) firm tofu
- Chop cabbage.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and water and cover with a lid.
- Let it soften for about 10 minutes.
- When cabbage has softened a bit, add all spices (no tomato paste yet).
- Cover with a lid and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add beans (with the water from the can too) and tomato paste. Stir.
- Cook for 15 more minutes, or until everything is tender.
- If needed, add more water in the saucepan so it won't stick to the bottom and burn. Check every 15 minutes to see if it needs more liquid added.
- In a separate pan, heat some oil.
- Slice smoked tofu and lightly fry it on both sides.
- Serve with cabbage stew.
Amount Per Serving Calories 238Total Fat 12.8gCarbohydrates 18gProtein 12.5g
Wednesday 31st of October 2018
This sounds delicious but where in the world do you get smoked tofu?
Monday 5th of November 2018
Hi, Ann! I find it here (I live in Romania) at any supermarket. You can try Amazon. I know I've seen it there too. It's delicious! :D
Saturday 14th of April 2018
This is one of the best cabbage stew recipes I ever came to! This was delicious and the smoked tofu was such a great idea! Thanks!
Saturday 14th of April 2018
Yay! So happy to hear this! It's one of my fav cabbage recipes.
Wednesday 6th of April 2016
Thank you! Hope you'll like it! :D