This is the best cabbage stew you will ever make! You will fall in love with cabbage after you’ve tried this smoky cabbage stew recipe!
This was SO GOOD!! We ate the whole stew in just one day and the next day I cooked it again! Yes.. it was THAT good!
This cabbage stew is a very simple recipe. No complicated techniques or expensive ingredients are needed, and the result will be beyond your expectations! I think its simplicity adds even more value to it. The textures, flavors, everything blends perfectly together. You’ll love it too, I’m sure!
This cabbage stew recipe is vegan, but it remembered me of the traditional Romanian cabbage stew recipe which is usually made with bacon or other types of meat. The smoked tofu and smoked paprika make it taste exactly like that!
You may find the combination between beans and cabbage to be… oh… how do I put it… EXPLOSIVE! :)) Well, it’s not! I actually didn’t have any bloating problems at all. Maybe I was just lucky?! Anyway, bloating is totally worth it!
So, here it is, my cabbage stew recipe… the best cabbage stew you will ever make! Enjoy! 🙂
P.S. I think I’ll try this cabbage soup recipe next. It says it’s good for weight-loss too! 🙂
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 large can of Cannellini beans (I used a 800g can)
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 5 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 3 tsps smoked paprika
- 2 tsps dry thyme
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 5 Tbsps tomato paste
- 4 Tbsps oil
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup water, plus more if needed
- 250g firm tofu, smoked
- Chop cabbage.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and water and cover with a lid.
- Let it soften for about 10 minutes.
- When cabbage has softened a bit, add all spices (no tomato paste yet).
- Cover with a lid and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add beans (with the water from the can too) and tomato paste. Stir.
- Cook for 15 more minutes, or until everything is tender.
- If needed, add more water in the saucepan so it won't stick to the bottom and burn. Check every 15 minutes to see if it needs more liquid added.
- In a separate pan, heat some oil.
- Slice smoked tofu and lightly fry it on both sides.
- Serve with cabbage stew.