Here are the best sourdough discard donuts recipes you’ll want to bookmark right away! If you want to experiment with homemade sourdough, here’s where you start!
Sourdough discard donuts are one of the best things you can make with your sourdough starter – or sourdough discard left after feeding. These little gems not only taste amazing, but they’re also incredibly easy to make! I’m going to tell you everything you need to know about making delicious sourdough donuts in your own kitchen. All you need is a few ingredients and a little bit of time!
Best Sourdough Discard Donuts Recipes
Here’s how to make light, chewy sourdough donuts with the best browned butter frosting in the world. Simply incredible! Recipe created by Buttered Side Up Blog.
If you’re a chocolate lover, then you absolutely have to try these baked sourdough donuts with chocolate glaze. They’re baked, so they’re healthier! Recipe created by Baking with Butter.
If you prefer a simple recipe, this one will show you how to make flawless sourdough donuts each and every time. You can even make bite-sized donuts with the leftover dough centers! Recipe created by Goodie Godmother.
Cinnamon sugar is one of my favorite things in the world. And this recipe for baked sourdough donuts is definitely up high on my list of preferences! Recipe created by Hostess at Heart.
Who doesn’t love blueberries? If you want some healthy baked donuts with an incredible taste and sweet and sour bits of fruit, this recipe is for you! Recipe created by Halicoper Away.
I sometimes prefer vanilla over chocolate. On those days, this recipe for sourdough donuts with vanilla glaze is a winner! Recipe created by Farmhouse on Boone.
In case you prefer donut balls instead of the classic ones with a hole, this recipe is for you. Of course, we will fill the middle with chocolate! Recipe created by Pantry Mama.
And if you easily get bored with flavors and you prefer having options, why not try this recipe that will show you 3 ways of making baked sourdough donuts? Recipe created by Lynn’s Way of Life.
Sometimes simple is the best! Which is the same as this classic recipe for sourdough donuts. Just add some sugar on top and you’re good to go! Recipe created by Baking with Gina.
Let’s end this list in style with yet another recipe for glazed sourdough donuts. They’re light and fluffy and simply addictive! Recipe created by Bless This Mess Please.
Why are donuts so popular?
Donuts are sweet, deep-fried cakes that can be made from different types of flour. Donuts are typically round with a hole in the middle, but they can be shaped like little balls as well. These can be filled with things like chocolate, jam, jelly, custard, or cream cheese.
Donuts are delicious, and there’s no shortage of reasons why. Here are five reasons why you should make donuts today (find my recipes below!):
- They’re a great treat. Nothing says “I love you” like a homemade batch of donuts! 🙂
- They’re easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients, even beginning bakers can whip up their own sourdough donut recipe in no time at all.
- They’re a good way to use your sourdough starter. Donuts take advantage of the rise-and-fall effect created by yeast dough fermentation and are therefore an ideal opportunity for using the excess starter that’s sitting around in your fridge.
- They’re a crowd-pleaser. With so many different varieties, there’s a donut for everyone — and you can even make some without eggs or dairy, which makes them the perfect treat for vegans and those with egg allergies as well!
- They’re literally comforting food. Donuts are an easy way to satisfy your carb craving in a tasty way with minimal effort. When you’re feeling down or tired, donuts can make you feel better almost immediately — plus they’re really easy to eat while on the go!
Donuts are so popular because they are comforting, exciting, and delicious. Donuts are just plain fun to eat and share with others! They’re perfect as party snacks or even as small gifts when friends come over – and they’ll always be appreciated, that’s a promise! Plus, their variety of flavors means that there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
And because most of us need carbs frequently throughout the day in order to fuel our bodies properly during exercise or daily activities, a donut will come in handy anytime! 🙂
In the end, there’s no wrong way to eat a donut. Whether it’s hot out of the oven or you’re eating it cold from the fridge — a donut will always taste amazing. But what about sourdough donuts?
What makes sourdough donuts a better choice?
Sourdough donuts are made using a sourdough starter, which is a fermented mixture of flour and water. It’s made with wild yeast, not commercial yeast. Wild yeast is, in short, the good kind of yeast. This type of yeast doesn’t need any help from commercial yeast or baking soda to make donuts rise, so sourdough donuts are healthier than regular donuts!
Sourdough donuts have an excellent flavor that can’t be replicated with any other type of yeast. They’re more flavorful because they have a stronger, more complex taste. This is because the sourdough culture used to make them produces lactic acid during fermentation which gives them their distinctive flavor.
Their texture is denser, chewier, and more complex than those of regular yeast donuts. Plus, they’re easier to make than the traditional variety because there’s no need for proofing or rising time — in fact, you could even say they’re failproof since there’s no chance for failure!
They’re also lower in sodium and carbs, which makes them a better choice for anyone who’s trying to lose weight. Sourdough donuts are also naturally more nutritious than regular ones because they contain more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Okay, I hope I convinced you already that sourdough donuts are the best type of donuts. And if you want to try some today, scroll down to find my hand-picked selection of the best sourdough donuts recipes you’ll surely want to bookmark straight away. I tried to include donuts for all tastes, preferences, and levels of difficulty, so I’m sure you’ll find something to love down below!
These sourdough donuts recipes are a perfect way to use up some of your sourdough starter! They’re easy to make and taste great, so what are you waiting for? Happy cooking! 🙂
- Sourdough Browned Butter Frosting Donuts
- Sourdough Baked Donuts with Chocolate Glaze
- Sourdough Discard Donuts
- Sourdough Cinnamon Sugar Baked Donuts
- Sourdough Blueberry Baked Donuts
- Sourdough Vanilla Glazed Donuts
- Baked Sourdough Brioche Donut Balls with chocolate filling
- Baked Donuts with Sourdough (3 Ways!)
- Classic Sourdough Sugar Donuts
- Easy, Light & Fluffy Sourdough Glazed Donuts
- Choose your favorite sourdough donut recipe.
- Organize all the ingredients.
- Prep some delicious donuts made with sourdough discard.