This vegan BLT sandwich was inspired by the classic bacon-lettuce-tomatoes sandwich. It’s easy to make and has a smoky, crispy bacon flavor.
Yay! The first recipe for 2017! Sorry for the long break. I told you here why it took me so long to get back on track with the blog. 🙂 I start with a recipe for a sandwich because I am currently hosting an awesome campaign for Schar Romania, focused on making the best, healthy gluten-free sandwiches! 🙂 This sandwich-making contest is available only for Romanian residents, so I talked about it in detail on the Romanian version of this recipe.
I have a couple more vegan sandwiches recipe waiting to be posted on the blog. I tried to “veganize” some really popular recipes for you. Hope you’ll like them! I am so happy that I managed to mimic the taste and texture of the meat products used in the original recipes. Plus, the vegan meat substitutions are affordable, well-known products, so you can easily make these at home.
It’s very important to use smoked tofu for this recipe. Plain tofu will not have the right flavor to be used as a substitution for bacon unless you marinate it in some liquid smoke, but that’s way too complicated for a simple sandwich recipe.
When I came up with the idea of using smoked tofu instead of bacon for this vegan BLT sandwich, I was sure it will taste amazing but had no idea how the texture will turn like. The results amazed me! It is slightly crispy on the outside and just perfect! I ate 3 of the 4 sandwiches that I made and saved only one for my BF. Pssst…don’t tell! :))
So, here it is! You can make 4 vegan BLT sandwiches in less than 10 minutes. Check it out! Also, take a look at the quick video I made, so you can see how easy it easy to make this recipe. Enjoy!
- 4 Ciabattini rolls (I used gluten-free rolls by Schar, but you can use any other kind of bread)
- 1 tsp vegan mayo per sandwich
- 50g smoked tofu, thinly sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- Heat the Ciabattini rolls in the oven for a couple of minutes.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick pan.
- Thinly slice smoked tofu and place the slices in the pan. Fry them on both sides, for about 2 minutes per side, until they get golden and slightly crispy.
- Make the vegan BLT sandwiches! Spread some mayo on each side of the bread, add tomato slices, 3-4 tofu slices, one lettuce leaf and that's it!