This is the ultimate vegan hangover soup! This Pleurotus / oyster mushroom soup with pickles will cure your hangover immediately! This is also known as vegan tripe soup – crazy-good, but also vegan and healthy! Enjoy!
This vegan hangover soup is one of my favorite soup recipes ever! This Pleurotus / oyster mushroom soup with pickles is actually the veganized version for the popular tripe soup (belly soup). I used to love tripe soup back when I was a meat-eater. It’s pretty gross when you think about what it is actually made of, but still, it tasted really good if it was cooked properly! Now, I’m 100% honest when I tell you that this vegan version is 1000 times better than the original meat tripe soup recipe! The taste, the texture, the color, everything is the same! Plus, being vegan makes this recipe healthy and low fat too!
Want to grow oyster mushrooms at home? Check out this mushroom farm kit!
This soup recipe was tested by meat-eaters too and the verdict was that it was better than the original belly soup recipe! Pleurotus / Oyster mushrooms have such an amazing texture which resembles the texture of meat. When pickled, they are truly delicious! You’ll have to make this and see for yourself! 😀
It’s a tart, super-filling soup, which will make you instantly feel better and cure your nausea symptoms. It’s made with simple, healthy ingredients and it is also macrobiotic and gluten-free!
P.S. I love cooking with mushrooms! If you do to, you should definitely try my Creamy Mushroom Soup with Thyme and this awesome Shiitake & Oyster Mushroom Soup made by the Blender Babes.
The Ultimate Vegan Hangover Soup | Oyster Mushroom Soup with Pickles
This is the ultimate vegan hangover soup! This Pleurotus / oyster mushroom soup with pickles will cure your hangover immediately! This is also known as vegan tripe soup - crazy-good, but also vegan and healthy! Enjoy!
- 1 jar (800g | 28oz) pickles
- 1 jar (800g | 28oz) pickled red bell peppers
- 500g (17.5oz) Oyster mushrooms
- 3 carrots
- 1 garlic head
- sea salt, ground pepper and ground coriander, to taste
- Option 1: 2 tsps potato or corn starch + 2 Tbsps mustard + 1/2 tsp curry powder + 3 Tbsps olive oil
- Option 2: 3 Tbsps vegan mayo
- Pour the vinegar from both pickle jars in a pot. Add 1 L of water.
- Slice the carrots and the pleurotus mushrooms.
- Let them boil for 15 minutes.
- Add 5 sliced pickles and 5 sliced pickled red bell peppers.
- Add 5-6 sliced garlic cloves.
- Let them boil for another 10 minutes.
- If you you choose the first sauce option: In a separate large bowl, add mustard, starch, olive oil and curry powder. Mix using a hand mixer.
- Mash and add the rest of garlic cloves in the mustard "mayo".
- If you choose the second version, add vegan mayo but keep in mind the instruction below,
- Important! Don't add the "mayo" in the boiling water. Add about 1 cup of hot water from the pot at time into the "mayo" bowl. Pour slowly and mix continuously. Keep on adding hot water and mixing, until you've added about 800ml of water from the boiling pot into the "mayo"bowl. Now you can pour this back into the soup pot.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 141Total Fat 1.4gCarbohydrates 27.2gProtein 4.8g
Saturday 27th of January 2018
I’ve made it and it was so delicious 😋 Still don’t have any pickled red pepper (gogosari) because you cannot find this in US 😐
Monday 29th of January 2018
So glad you liked it! It's just as good without gogosari. 😁
Tuesday 21st of November 2017
Thank you so much! I can't wait to try this and offer it to my bulgarian family who don't believe me you can veganise everything :D
Saturday 25th of November 2017
You're welcome, Emily! :) You should try the vegan minced meat rolls recipe too. I'm pretty sure it's quite famous in Bulgary as well! :D
Monday 26th of June 2017
Pickled red peppers? de care? Ardei copti marinati sau gogosari in otet?
Wednesday 5th of July 2017
Buna! Te poti uita la reteta in limba romana. Am folosit gogosari in otet.
Thursday 5th of March 2015
Am facut-o, e foarte buna, bravo! Dar zeama nu este asa alba ca in imaginile de mai sus. Cum faceti sa iasa asa allba, ati pus smantana?
Sunday 8th of March 2015
Nu iese zeama alba deloc. E galbuie mai degraba. Nici in poze nu se vede alba, tot galbuie e. Nu am pus smantana, bineinteles. Reteta folosita e cea din postare. :)
Friday 1st of August 2014
Holy crap! Pickles in soup? Incredible idea, Ruxandra.
I have a batch "cooking" now and wonder if they'd be good in soup. They're a little different than yours.
Maybe in a chicken broth with noodles since these are super salty and spicy.
Anyway, keep up the good work. :)
Friday 1st of August 2014
Glad you like it Lenny! :D You can add less pickles if they're too salty, and less salt to the soup maybe. Veggie broth would be best :P