Change language | Schimba limba: Romanian
This is a vegan recipe for protein-rich mushroom hemp patties with herbs. These mushroom hemp patties have a great texture and taste!
Last week, I received two products from Canah for testing them in my recipes. If you don’t know, Canah is a company that processes hemp seeds, selling many woderful hemp based products like shelled seeds, hemp protein powder, oil, body lotions and more!
I’ve tried their producs before and used their raw, cold-processed hemp oil in salads and other raw recipes. I also tried their protein powder and used in in banana protein shakes and smoothies. I was glad when I received a bottle of hemp oil (as my previous one was almost finished) and a pack of hemp seeds, and decided to give them a try!
Before I tell you about this wonderful, protein-rich mushroom hemp patties recipe, you should know why hemp is so amazing!
The amazing health benefits of hemp
Hemp is a variety of the Cannabis sativa plant. It is not the same as marijuana, as it does not contain the high levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
- The essential fatty acids contained in hemp reduce blood cholesterol and thus prevent plaque buildup in the arteries.
- Hemp improves your memory, and prevents diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- Hemp oil is often used for cosmetic purposes in products such as soaps, skin lotions and lip balms. It clears up skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and dry skin.
- Hemp is a natural appetite suppressant, and helps you to feel full longer. Add 4 tablespoons of hemp seeds to your breakfast and reduce your food cravings for the rest of the day.
- Hemp is rich in fibers and thus it keeps your digestive tract clean and healthy.
- Hemp reduces your risk of breast, colon and prostate cancers because of the antioxidants and plant sterols it contains.
- Hemp seeds are also essential if you are diabetic, as they control your blood sugar levels.
- Hemp seeds are very rich in proteins and are great for vegetarians!
These are just a few of the great health benefits of hemp. I decided to create a super-protein-rich meal with the hemp seeds I received, and what better ingredient to go along with other than mushrooms! We all know mushrooms are very rich in proteins and they also have a meaty texture, so I created these protein-rich patties for vegetarians! They were not only healthy, but really good too! You should try this recipe and see for yourself
- 4 cups button mushrooms, chopped
- 5 Tbsps hemp seeds
- a bunch of dill, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsps dry thyme
- 1 potato, boiled with its skin on, peeled afterwards and mashed
- 4 Tbsps nutritional yeast
- 3-4 Tbsps hemp protein powder (Start by adding 3 Tbsps; If the composition is too moist and you cannot make the patties easily, add more until it has the right consistency. The hemp powder will absorb all excess water.)
- 4 Tbsps white wine (optional)
- 3 Tbsps oil for frying/baking + 1 Tbsp oil for cooking
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a large skillet. Add chopped onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped mushrooms, dry thyme, wine, salt and pepper. Saute for 10 minutes and cover with a lid.
- Remove from heat.
- Add potato and inactive dry yeast flakes and mix al ingredients together.
- Add chopped dill, hemp seeds and hemp protein powder. When adding hemp protein powder, start by adding 3 Tbsps. If the composition is too moist and you cannot make the patties easily, add more until it has the right consistency. The hemp powder will absorb all excess water.
- There are 2 ways you can cook the patties. A. Low fat frying or B. Baking.
- A. Grease a non-stick pan with some oil and add the patties. 1Tbsp per patty. Fry 1-2 minutes on each side.
- B. Grease an oven tray with some oil. Add patties and cook for 25-30 minutes at 200C. Flip them on the other side after 15 minutes.