Change language / Schimba limba: Română
Make traditional Romanian polenta, the easy way! I will show you how to make polenta perfectly, every time!
This is the basic polenta recipe. It’s simple and yet it can be modified in so many ways to create new and even more delicious recipes. All you need are just 3 ingredients: water, cornmeal, and salt. I often eat it instead of bread because it’s much healthier and also it contains a higher amount of fibers.
Studies have shown that by eating polenta we fight against diabetes, liver, and even respiratory diseases. It also helps us prevent obesity and thyroid diseases. Cornmeal has many great benefits, but we should choose only the organic non-GMO version.
Most times I use polenta as a side dish, but it can also be a main dish if you add more ingredients like chopped onion, parsley, tofu etc. Here’s a great recipe you can try: Polenta Muffins with Green Peas and Feta Cheese.
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 200g (1 ½ cups) organic cornmeal
- 1 tsp sea salt
- optional - 25g (2 Tbsp) butter
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add sea salt.
- Take cornmeal by the handful and add to water slowly. Stir quickly to avoid lumps. Use a long handled wooden spoon( I used one with a hole in the middle which is more suitable for liquid consistency meals).
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring constantly. Polenta will become very thick while cooking. It is done when it comes away cleanly from the sides of the pot.
- Optional - Add 25g of butter.
- Pour polenta in a round shape form and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut cooled polenta into slices and serve!
Amount Per Serving Calories 35Total Fat 0.5gCarbohydrates 6.4gProtein 1.1g