Here’s how you can easily make vegan arancini, also known as vegan fried rice balls or fried risotto balls. It’s the perfect recipe to make with leftover rice! Give it a try!
Arancini is delicious Italian appetizer recipe, originating from the Sicilian region. Arancini are simply stuffed rice balls coated with breadcrumbs and then deep-fried. The stuffing varies, from meat (usually a ragù filling, similar to the one used for the Bolognese pasta), mozzarella or even peas.
Arancini can be shaped spherical or cone-shaped, depending on the region they are made. The name means “little orange” and depicts perfectly how these rice balls look once fried.
This is not exactly a healthy recipe, as there is a lot of frying involved. There’s no way you can get the crispy texture without deep-frying, so when I decided to re-create this recipe I knew that baking wasn’t an option.
It’s time to stop worrying about what you’re going to eat! I created the meal planner app to help you! Get your personalized meal plan with delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly recipes! GET YOUR MEAL PLAN!
Veganizing this recipe was a breeze. I replaced the eggs with some psyllium husks mixed with water. After a couple of minutes, they turn into a gel-like consistency similar to that of egg whites. The filling was made with vegan cheese. Use a brand of vegan cheese that melts or make my vegan mozzarella recipe!
These vegan fried risotto balls are very easy to make. You can try this delicious appetizer/snack whenever you have some leftover rice and don’t know what to do with it.
Hope you’ll like this vegan fried balls recipe. Give it a try and send me your feedback below! 🙂
- Heat some oil (about 2 cups) in a large frying pan, over medium heat.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Wet your hands, then take a scoop of rice, and flatten it out in your hand.
- Take a cube of vegan cheese and put in the center of the rice.
- Form the rice around the cheese cube, into a ball.
- Mix the psyllium husks with 6 tablespoons of water. Set it aside in a bowl.
- In another bowl, add the flour.
- In the third bowl, add the Panko breadcrumbs mixed with nutritional yeast.
- Gently roll the rice ball into the flour, then roll into the psyllium and water mix (which is almost the consistency of egg whites), and then into the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Spread them out on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Now the frying part. The preheated oil should be at 170°C.
- Dip each ball into the oil and let it fry until golden and crispy, turn them slightly while they are frying to make sure they are cooking evenly.
- Set them aside on a plate covered with paper towels, to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve these vegan arancini with marinara sauce and chopped parsley.