Learn how to make vegan California roll or tofu uramaki quickly and easily, by following this step by step recipe! It tastes very similar to the original crab meat California roll recipe!
I love vegan sushi and ever since I discovered an awesome online store with relatively cheap Asian foods, I started making homemade sushi at least once a month. Now that I host the Asian recipes challenge on my blog (as part of the world cuisines challenge) I decided to experiment with new types of sushi, like this vegan California roll made with tofu, mayo and avocado.
My previous vegan sushi recipe was with all kinds of veggies, this time I wanted to simplify it and try something different. I used silken tofu to replace the crab meat traditionally used in California rolls (I had some tofu leftovers from my miso soup recipe) and combined it with avocado and vegan mayo. It was delicious!
This is the first time I make a California roll or uramaki sushi. I always thought it was complicated to make and avoided it but it’s actually quite easy once you do it once or twice. The first one may not be perfect, but it gets better with time.
It’s time to stop worrying about what you’re going to eat! I created the meal planner app to help you! Get your personalized meal plan with delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly recipes! GET YOUR MEAL PLAN!
For coating these vegan California rolls I used a mix of raw, toasted and black sesame seeds. I also dipped these in soy sauce combined with sesame oil when serving. Sesame oil has such an intense flavor! I love it!
Hope you’ll like this easy avocado sushi recipe! Don’t forget, if you give my recipes a try, take a photo and tag me on Instagram @gourmandelleblog and use the hashtag #gourmandellerecipe. I will feature you on my Facebook page and/or Instagram Stories! 🙂
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
- Put the rice into a pot, add the water and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 more minutes since the moment it starts boiling and then remove from heat. Cover the pot with a lid and let the rice absorb all the liquid.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, and salt until dissolved and pour into the rice. Mix well.
- Let the rice thoroughly cool - you can put it in the freezer or fridge, stirring every 5 minutes to speed up the process.
- Cut avocado and tofu.
- Use a sushi mat and cover it with some plastic wrap.
- Place the nori sheet on the sushi mat, with the rough side facing up. Apply the rice to the nori sheet, in a thin layer, covering all edges.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the rice.
- Place another piece of plastic wrap on top of the rice and flip it over. For California rolls, the rice should be on the outside, not the Nori sheet.
- Now that it's flipped on the other side, remove the plastic wrap on the upper side, the one that's on the Nori sheet.
- Spread some mayo on the Nori sheet, layer the avocado and tofu at the bottom and carefully roll.
- Slice the vegan California roll with a wet knife.
- Use soy sauce and sesame oil for dipping.