Craving some delicious Spanish desserts?! Try these vegan churros with chocolate sauce and vegan dulce de leche! They’re incredibly delicious and easy to make!
I couldn’t have missed the world-renowned Spanish churros recipe as part of my Spanish recipes-testing journey, so here it is! This delicious dessert it’s not healthy, so don’t expect something guilt-free, but it surely is something you can indulge yourself with a couple of times a year.
It’s time to stop worrying about what you’re going to eat! I created the meal planner app to help you! Get your personalized meal plan with delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly recipes! GET YOUR MEAL PLAN!
Churros are fried dough with a pastry-like consistency, very similar to choux from the popular French choux à la crème recipe or the Romanian donuts. Churros are traditional from Portugal and Spain but are popular all over the world and are most frequently sold by street food vendors.
Churros have different shapes and can be ridged, thin, knotted, thick and/or long. They are served with chocolate sauce or vegan dulce de leche and sprinkled with sugar on top.
The original churros recipe is made with butter and eggs but it can be easily veganized and there are also a bunch of vegan churros recipes on the web that are not even marked as vegan.
Thank you, Mari (see comment below), for letting me know the difference between Spanish and Mexican churros. Spanish churros never use butter and eggs so the traditional Spanish recipe is vegan. Eggs and sometimes butter are used to make Mexican churros. Cinnamon is also not traditional on Spanish churros but, again, common in the Mexican churros recipe.
Dulce de leche is not Spanish nor is it popular in Spain (sorry for the confusion), but some Latin American versions of churros use it.
This isn’t exactly a Summer-friendly recipe, as you’ll need to heat up the kitchen in order to make these vegan churros, but if you’re planning a vegan tapas party, these are a must! Give them a try and tell me how they turned out. I’m sure you’ll love them but remember, everything in moderation! 🙂
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2-3 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 Tbsp sugar powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot
- Remove from heat and add the melted butter and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl combine the sifted flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and quickly mix to a sticky, soft dough.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Fill a piping bag with the churros dough.
- Heat the oil in a wok to 190C.
- Squeeze out the dough through the piping bag in long pieces and drop them into the oil - fry for a minute until golden.
- Take them out with a sieve and let them dry on paper towels. Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture and fry the rest of the batter in batches.
- Serve with the chocolate sauce and dulce de leche.