This is a vegetarian zucchini moussaka casserole recipe with mushrooms and tomato sauce, ideal to feed a whole family.
Who’s the best at making delicious, vegetarian casserole recipes? My mom! She made this awesome, healthy zucchini moussaka and I absolutely loved it! I’m glad I learned this recipe from her. This vegetarian moussaka recipe is low calorie, low fat, dairy free and 100% tasty! Also, the prep part is really quick so you won’t spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
The original recipe contains eggs but it can easily be veganized if you use egg substitutes. I actually tried it with psyllium husks instead of eggs and it was perfect!
- 2-3 large zucchinis
- 1 cup chopped, peeled tomatoes (canned or homemade)
- 6 Tbsps tomato paste
- 500g mushrooms (Portobello or button mushrooms – equal to approx. 4 cups), chopped
- 2 big onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, mashed
- 3 eggs (or 4 large Tbsps psyllium husks)
- 1 bunch of dill, chopped
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- 2 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- sour cream (optional) – use REAL, 100% NATURAL sour cream, not that low fat crap :)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add chopped onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add chopped mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes. Add 1 cup chopped and peeled tomatoes, you can use canned tomatoes, mshed garlic cloves, chopped dill, salt, pepper and 1 tsp dry thyme. Saute for 5 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Whisk 2 eggs and pour them in the pan. For vegan version, just add psyllium husks. Mix well.
- Preheat oven at 180C/350F.
- Grease a 9×13 rectangular casserole dish with some olive oil.
- Using a mandoline, make thin zucchini slices.
- Cover the pan in one layer of zucchini slices. Add the mushroom composition and spred evenly. Cover it with the final layer of zucchini slices.
- Beat the remaining egg and pout it over. Spread evenly.
- Spread 5-6 tablespoons of tomato paste on top and sprinkle with 1 tsp of try thyme.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 180C/350F.
- Serve with sour cream - optional.
More vegetarian casserole recipes? Try these:
- Lentils and Veggies Gratin
- Cauliflower and Cheese Casserole
- Grandma’s Spaghetti and Cheese Casserole
- Vegetarian Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie
- Zucchini and Cheese Vegetarian Casserole