Make this vegetarian zucchini moussaka and enjoy a delicious, healthy, comfort recipe. Best served with some sour cream on top!
Who’s the best at making delicious, vegetarian casserole recipes? My mom! She was the first who made this awesome, healthy zucchini moussaka and I absolutely loved it! I’m glad I learned this recipe from her. This vegetarian moussaka recipe is low calorie, low fat and 100% tasty! Also, the prep part is really quick so you won’t spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
The original recipe contains eggs but it can easily be veganized if you use egg substitutes. I actually tried it with psyllium husks instead of eggs and it was perfect! You should try this vegetarian zucchini recipe!
- 2-3 large zucchinis
- 1 cup chopped, peeled tomatoes (canned or homemade)
- 6 Tbsps tomato paste
- 500g button mushrooms (equal to approx. 4 cups), chopped
- 2 big onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, mashed
- 3 eggs (or 4 large Tbsps psyllium husks)
- 1 bunch of dill, chopped
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- 2 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- sour cream (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add chopped onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add chopped mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes. Add 1 cup chopped and peeled tomatoes, you can use canned tomatoes, mashed garlic cloves, chopped dill, salt, pepper and 1 tsp dry thyme. Saute for 5 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Whisk 2 eggs and pour them in the pan. For the vegan version, just add psyllium husks. Mix well.
- Preheat oven at 180C/350F.
- Grease a 9×13 rectangular casserole dish with some olive oil.
- Using a mandoline, make thin zucchini slices.
- Cover the pan in one layer of zucchini slices. Add the mushroom composition and spread it evenly. Cover it with the final layer of zucchini slices.
- Beat the remaining egg and put it over. Spread evenly.
- Spread 5-6 tablespoons of tomato paste on top and sprinkle with 1 tsp of thyme.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 180C/350F.
- Serve with sour cream - optional.
More vegetarian casserole recipes? Try these: