These spicy vegan lentil cakes are perfect for satisfying your spicy food cravings! They’re easy to make, protein-rich and have a spicy and smoky flavor!
I make the best veggie patties! Really, I do. I’m not modest at all. :)) I absolutely LOVE veggie patties and I’m constantly experimenting with new flavors, colors and textures. Some recipes are better than others, but all of them are delicious!
If you are a spicy food fan and love smoky flavors, then these vegan lentil cakes will become your favorite too! Smoked paprika is absolutely amazing, you’ll love it! Ever since I discovered it I’ve been using it like crazy in almost all my recipes! It completely changes any dish.
So, here’s the recipe. If you want to try other veggie patties recipes, you should check out my Ultimate Veggie Burger Guide. Enjoy!
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 small bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 Tbsps psyllium husks (or one large egg)
- 4 Tbsps nutritional yeast flakes (optional, but recommended)
- 2 bell peppers (I used one red and one yellow), chopped
- about ½ cup flour of choice (I used some rice flour)
- 2 tsps smoked paprika
- 1 tsp spicy paprika
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- oil, for frying
- Add lentils in a pot and cover them with water. From the moment they start boiling, let them boil for about 15 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Strain the lentils very well and put them in a large bowl. Start mashing them using a fork or a vertical blender. Add the rest of the ingredients, except oil.
- Start mixing the composition. It has to be sticky and easy to shape. If it’s not it means that you didn’t strain the lentils very good and the composition is too wet. No problem, just add more flour until it has a dough-like consistency. Alternatively, let it rest in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Spray a non stick pan with some oil. Not too much. Put each patty on the frying pan and let it fry about 2 minutes on each side.