This banana cream pie is a sugar-free, vegan dessert, high in fibers and with a delicious banana cream and cinnamon crusted apples topping.
I love desserts that are easy to make. I was never good at baking and I don’t think I’ll get any better. I just don’t have enough patience.
I craved for something sweet and decided to make this banana cream pie. I don’t know where I got the idea to make a banana cream, it just popped up in my head. I’m glad I did it, it was delicious! I made this recipe twice so far, first time with apples and the second time I used pears. It was great in both cases!
I almost forgot to mention, this is SUGAR-FREE! Yes! I just sprinkled some sugar on top at the end just so it would look good in the photos, but it is not necessary, as it is already sweet enough. Also, I tried to make the dough as healthy and high in fibers as possible. The pumpkin seeds were amazing!
Hope you’ll give this banana cream pie a try. Let me know how it was!
- 2 apples, cubed
- 4 bananas
- 1 cup ]rye flour
- 1 egg (or flax meal - 3 Tbsps ground flax seeds mixed with 3 Tbsps water)
- ⅓ cup grape seed oil (maybe less, maybe more.. you’ll have to check the dough consistency)
- ⅓ cup granola
- 4 tbsps raw pumpkin seeds
- 1½ tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp rum extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup raisins
- stevia extract (optional – you can skip this, the recipe is just as good without any sweetener, the bananas have enough sweetness)
- For the dough:
- In a large bowl add rye flour, granola, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tsp rum extract, stevia extract (optional), pumpkin seeds, grapeseed oil and 1 egg or flax meal*. Using your hands start mixing the dough.
- The right consistency is when it is easy to handle and not too sticky. If it is too sticky add more flour; also if it’s too dry, add some oil.
- Cover a cake form with some parchment paper the add the dough and start pressing with your hands. This pie has a more rustic feel so don’t worry it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- For the filling:
- Add the sliced bananas, corn starch and vanilla extract in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the banana cream in the cake form. Add cubed apples. Spread them evenly in the pie. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 375ºF (190ºC) for about 45 minutes.