This cream of cauliflower soup with onion and smoked paprika is definitely a soup to remember! The perfect blend of textures, colors and flavors will surely please you too!
It’s been a pretty long time since I cooked with dairy. I rarely eat dairy products myself, but I must confess that I cook with cheese/butter/sour cream almost every time I have guests coming in. I keep the meals vegetarian of course, but I don’t want to scare them away by making a 100% vegan party. I think this is my way of luring them to the veg side! :)) I tempt them with vegetarian goodies and then, little by little, I show them the advantages of a vegan diet too.
Anyway, I made this cream of cauliflower soup a week ago and to my surprise, it turned out great! I was surprised because it was the first time I made cream of cauliflower soup and I usually find cauliflower’s taste a little bland. I’m glad that in this combo it is absolutely divine!
Smoked paprika is a spice I recently discovered and I’ve been using it ever since! I’ve heard of smoked paprika before of course, but I didn’t find it in local stores, up until a few weeks ago.
I will soon veganize this recipe by skipping dairy and using extra-virgin olive oil instead. I am curious to see if the overall taste will be the same. 🙂
So, here it is! Hope you’ll like it! 🙂
Cream of Cauliflower Soup with Onion and Smoked Paprika
The video above is from “Sanatatea in Bucate” TV show aired on 18th January 2015 on Digi24, where I cooked my cream of cauliflower soup, along with two other favorite recipes of mine. If the video above doesn’t work, check it out here.
- 1 medium cauliflower head, chopped
- 60g butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 1 Tbsps smoked paprika
- 4 Tbsps olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- water, as needed
- Add chopped cauliflower in your steamer for 20 minutes. If you don't have a steamer, you can boil it for about 12 minutes.
- Put cauliflower in a medium pot. Add 1 cup water, butter, mashed garlic and salt. Blend all very well using a vertical blender. Add more warm water, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Add sour cream and blend well.
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan. Saute onion for 2 minutes. Add smoked paprika and remove from heat.
- Serve cream of cauliflower soup with the smoked paprika onion topping.