You’ll love this eggplant burger recipe! This vegan burger recipe is extremely easy to make, has a subtle garlic taste and strong za’atar flavor.
I could eat eggplants all day, every day! I absolutely love them and they’re among my top favorite veggies! Well, they come second after potatoes, of course! 🙂 I’ve tried them so far in so many recipes, from salads and sandwiches to pasta, dhals and even hummus and now the time has come to use them in veggie burgers as well!
This eggplant burger recipe is so easy to make! All you have to do is roast the eggplant, scoop out its insides and mix with some beans, spices and a couple other ingredients, then fry the patties and assemble the burgers. Anyone can make it! 🙂
I love to do veggie burger patties in larger batches and then either keep the composition in the fridge so I can make a burger anytime I want for the next 2-3 days, or shape all the burger patties in advance, without cooking, and just freeze them in Ziploc bags for whenever I crave a vegan burger.
It’s time to stop worrying about what you’re going to eat! I created the meal planner app to help you! Get your personalized meal plan with delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly recipes! GET YOUR MEAL PLAN!
- Eggplant Burger Patty:
- 1 can (400g) white beans, any kind
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 eggplant
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 Tbsps breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp psyllium husks (or ground flax seeds)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsps za'atar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- oil, for frying
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 4 burger buns
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 2-3 pickled cucumbers, sliced
- arugula or lettuce
- vegan aioli or vegan mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp per burger
- optional - eggplant caviar
- Preheat your oven to 250C.
- Cut the eggplant in half, place it on an oven tray and brush it with olive oil. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top and roast it in the oven for 20 minutes.
- When it's ready, scoop out the insides and put them into a food processor or a bowl. If you don't have a food processor or a blender, you can simply mash everything by hand. Add the rest of the ingredients for the eggplant burger patties and process/mash together.
- If you want the burger patties to be easier to shape, leave the composition to rest in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Heat some oil in a large, non-stick pan and add the patties, one by one. Lightly fry them on both sides, until they get a nice crust. Move them on a paper towel.
- Assemble the eggplant burgers. Spread a layer of vegan aioli or mayonnaise on the halved buns (you can also use eggplant caviar, see the recipe link in the ingredients list). Add arugula or lettuce, some tomato and pickles slices, the eggplant burger patty and that's it! Enjoy a delicious vegan eggplant burger!