For me, mashed potatoes are the ultimate definition of comfort food. And what can be better than a big healthy vegan mashed potato bowl to enjoy? I’ll tell you – nothing!
Whatever you may be doing this fall, make sure you have a hearty mashed potato bowl by your side that will make everything better. That’s because they are incredibly tasty and creamy, topped with your favorite veggies and spices. It’s absolutely heartwarming!
Of course, there’s nothing extravagant about a mashed potato bowl, as the name suggests as well. But the simplicity of this recipe is what makes it even greater!
It’s time to stop worrying about what you’re going to eat! I created the meal planner app to help you! Get your personalized meal plan with delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly recipes! GET YOUR MEAL PLAN!
Brace yourselves, as its taste is so comforting, and every bite will make you feel like meeting an old friend. Mashed potatoes were the main dish in my childhood, and whenever I taste them I get a homey feeling.
It’s amazing how much a familiar taste can accomplish. But there is no way this dish will get boring. Because the mashed potatoes are just the creamy base for what’s coming next. And that’s your favorite mix of vegetables and toppings! 🙂 Are you ready?
There are so many variations for this recipe! Basically, there’s a mashed potato bowl out there for anyone. The only constant is the mashed potato base. But besides that, the sky’s the limit! You can add beans, tofu, vegan cheese, BBQ sauce, variations of vegan gravy, jalapenos, spring onion – anything that crosses your mind!
In the recipe that I will present here, I will use my favorite combination of ingredients. But you can totally adjust to your own taste – if you have a favorite ingredient, throw it in there!
This is what I especially enjoy about this recipe: nothing can go wrong. A little bit more or a bit less of any ingredient – it will still taste awesome. So no matter how experienced you are in the kitchen, you can do it right away and it will be great. That’s my promise to you and one of the biggest advantages of this recipe!
The preparation for this dish is really simple and straightforward. First, you prepare the mashed potatoes. This is an extremely simple operation. You place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water.
Bring to boil, add some salt and cook until they become very tender – it should be about 25 minutes. When you mash the potatoes – you will have to use some vegan butter and non-dairy milk. And that’s it basically! But you will find detailed instructions in the section below, don’t worry.
Then, you cut and prepare the choice of vegetables. So what I advise you to do is to heat a pan with oil and saute everything. As I said, I made a selection of toppings and ingredients based on my own personal taste, but you can totally adjust it to your liking.
This recipe is all about comfort and simplicity – you will add your favorite toppings and then you will fall in love with it. I am sure that once you prepare this, you will be back again, and again and again! 😉
The last part is assembling everything together. In a bowl, add the mashed potatoes and cover it with your veggies. Make sure that the mashed potatoes are at least warm (preferably hot!) – this will ensure that everything will blend together well and all the flavors will become richer.
Here are some reasons why I loooove this dish:
- It’s easy to prepare, and it won’t take a lot of time. Perfect for a weeknight dinner;
- You can throw in everything you like – this dish is tailored to your likes and needs;
- It’s creamy, savory and it really warms you up;
- It’s incredibly delicious and it really has personality! No two bowls will taste the same;
- It’s very easy to pack and you can take it to work for a lovely lunch;
Now that everything has been said, it’s time to head to the kitchen and get some work done. Luckily, we will be quickly done and your mashed potato bowl will be done in no minute! Gather your ingredients, put on your aprons and follow my lead! Oh, and don’t forget that I’m waiting for your comments to hear how it all went!
- For the mashed potatoes:
- 500 gr chopped potatoes
- 200 ml almond milk
- 150 gr vegan butter
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- For the meatballs:
- 150 gr textured soy
- 200 ml water
- 60 gr tomato paste
- 25 gr green onion, chopped
- 25 gr fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ medium chili pepper
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp psyllium husks (egg substitute)
- 3-4 Tbsp of passata
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- You’ll also need:
- 4 radishes
- aditional green onions
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- one celery root
- ½ chili pepper
- Boil the potatoes in salted water. Once cooked, drain and mash them.
- Add the butter and almond milk, mix together until creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste (remember that potatoes love black pepper).
- Add some boiling water to the textured soy and wait until it cools down.
- Combine the textured soy with flour, tomato paste, green onion, parsley, chili pepper and the egg substitute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Form the meatballs.
- Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil to a pan over medium heat and fry the meatballs until fully cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from pan and add the passata to the same pan. Cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Grill the veggies in 1 Tbsp of olive oil over high heat until they develop a little bit of color.
- Serve the mashed potatoes with a few meatballs, topped with the passata and grilled veggies. Sprinkle green onion.