Learn how to make hummus from scratch and make it extra smooth! This is the basic hummus recipe served with toasted mixed seeds on top.
I am crazy about hummus. CRAZY! It’s my all-time favorite food and I could eat it by the bowl…as I actually do! 🙂
This is my newest hummus recipe, and unlike my previous ones, this time, I made it from scratch. This means no more canned chickpeas!
I will tell you a couple of tricks which you can use to make it extra smooth and boil chickpeas quickly. Hope you’ll give it a try!
Tip no. 1: Boil chickpeas with a teaspoon of baking soda. This will help the chickpeas boil faster,
Tip no. 2: Always peel chickpeas. This will make your hummus extra-smooth!
Tip no. 3: Add ice-cold water. When processing hummus, add some ice-cold water. This will make your hummus even smoother.
P.S. I LOVE Lebanese cuisine. If you love it too, check out Ottolenghi: The Cookbook. His recipes are truly inspiring!
- Soak chickpeas in water the night before you want to make this hummus.
- Fill a large pot with water and add soaked and drained chickpeas. Add ½ tsp baking soda in the water.
- Boil chickpeas until tender (1 hour).
- Drain chickpeas and fill the pot with cold water. Start stirring and gently massaging chickpeas. This will take their peels off. Drain and refill. Do this 5-6 times until most of the peels are off.
- Add all ingredients, except seeds and oil, in your food processor and blend until smooth. Add a little bit of ice-cold water in order to make it as smooth as you want.
- Process on high speed for 5 minutes until hummus is extra-smooth.
- Lightly toast seeds in a small pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Add seeds on top of hummus.