This smoky coconut rice with wood ear mushrooms and bamboo shoots recipe is one of the best Asian rice recipes I’ve ever made and eaten so far! It’s absolutely delicious and you should try it too!
This is by far one of the best Asian rice recipes I’ve ever tasted! It’s even better than my previous Curry Coconut Thai Rice recipe which I absolutely loved! All ingredients blend so perfectly together and the textures and flavors make this the perfect Asian comfort food recipe. Plus, it’s quite healthy too: low fat (it has healthy fats only from coconut milk), no frying, gluten-free and vegan!
Wood Ear mushrooms are incredibly good! I’ve never cooked with them until now, although I remember eating them in an Asian recipe a few years ago. Bamboo shoots are also very good in this combo. If you taste them just as they are they may not seem like much, as they have a bland corncob taste, but added in this mix they are perfect!
Oh, I almost forgot to mention the AWESOME smoky flavor from smoked paprika. Just one teaspoon makes miracles!
This smoky coconut rice with Wood Ear mushrooms recipe is surely worth a try! It will definitely become one of your favorite quick & easy Asian rice recipes! Enjoy! <3
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1½ cup water
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 30g dry wood ear mushrooms, hydrated for 10 minutes
- ⅓ cup bamboo shoots
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- 1-2 Tbsps sweet chili sauce, or to taste depending on how sweet/spicy it is (I used Shan'Shi Chili sauce which is rather sweet than spicy)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- sea salt, to taste
- Add water and rice into a wok. Cover with a lid and let it boil.
- After 5 minutes, add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed and the rice is well cooked. Stir occasionally.