Experience a sweet and bold dessert with these spicy brownies with chili-chocolate. Discover the hidden secret of this incendiary dessert that will make you forget all the other brownies you’ve tasted.
Recently, I had the privilege of tasting a special chocolate in which the notes of fine chocolate and the subtle spiciness of chili combine in an unforgettable taste explosion. This sensory experience motivated me to bring the same daring combination to a classic dessert, the brownies.
Of course, you can make the recipe for spicy brownies even if you don’t have chili chocolate, by simply adding extra chili to the recipe. However, you must take into account some important aspects when choosing the right chocolate brand, because this ingredient is what gives the rich taste and velvety texture of the dessert. There are various types of chocolate on the market, and the right choice can make a difference in the final result of your brownies.
How to choose a quality chocolate for desserts
Here’s how to choose a quality chocolate for desserts.
- Cocoa content
Opt for chocolate with a high cocoa content, preferably over 70%. The higher the percentage of cocoa, the richer and more authentic the chocolate will taste.
- List of ingredients
Check the list of ingredients and make sure it does not contain unwanted additives, such as hydrogenated fats, artificial flavors or artificial sweeteners. A quality chocolate must contain simple ingredients, such as cocoa, cocoa butter, sugar and vanilla.
- The origin of the chocolate
Information about the origin of the chocolate can provide clues about its quality. Look for chocolate that mentions the origin of the cocoa beans and prefer those that come from regions with a reputation for quality cocoa production, such as Belgium, Switzerland or South America.
- Manufacturing techniques
Knowledge of manufacturing techniques can be useful to evaluate the quality of chocolate. Quality chocolate is usually manufactured through carefully controlled grinding and refining processes, which contribute to obtaining a fine and velvety texture.
- Taste appreciation
Try different brands and types of chocolate to develop your taste and identify personal preferences. Participate in tastings and explore the range of artisanal chocolate to discover the aromas, textures and taste notes that you like the most.
Choosing a quality chocolate can be a pleasant and educational experience. Experiment, explore and enjoy the diversity of chocolate available, and the results will be seen in your dishes, where the authentic and refined taste of chocolate will bring you a special note and full satisfaction.
Ingredients for spicy chili brownies
- Chili Chocolate: This was the inspiration behind the creation of this recipe, but if you can’t find chocolate with chili, it’s no problem. Use the same amount of dark chocolate and just add a little more chili to the recipe.
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate, with a high cocoa content, adds an intense and rich taste, with slightly bitter notes, contributing to the velvety texture and sensory satisfaction of the brownies.
- Salted butter: Salted butter adds richness and creaminess to the texture of the brownies, complementing the taste of the chocolate and offering a subtle salty note that contrasts and balances the sweetness.
- Eggs: Eggs give the structure and connection of the ingredients in the brownie dough, contributing to the soft and dense consistency of the dessert.
- White sugar and brown sugar: White sugar and brown sugar add sweetness and caramelization to the brownie recipe, creating a rich flavor and a slightly crunchy crust on top.
- Chili powder: Chili powder adds a hot and spicy note to the brownie recipe, incorporating a slightly spicy sensation that combines harmoniously with the sweetness of chocolate and sugar.
- Flour: Flour is the basic ingredient that contributes to the structure and consistency of the brownies. I used white flour for the cakes.
Want more delicious brownies recipes? Try these:
- Banana Brownies
- Protein-Power Black Bean Brownies
- Healthy Nutella Brownies
- Avocado Brownies
- Gluten-Free Brownies
How to make the spicy chocolate brownies recipe
- 200g chili chocolate (replace with dark chocolate if you can't find this, and simply add more chili to the recipe)
- 150g dark chocolate
- 250g salted butter
- 5 eggs
- 200g white sugar
- 100g brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 200g flour
- 8 mini chili peppers
- 100g of sugar
- 100ml water
- 300g dark chocolate
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- For decoration:
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Bring it to a boil and stir until it forms a syrup. Add the mini chili peppers to the syrup, reduce the heat to low, and let them simmer for 5-7 minutes. Remove the peppers from the syrup and allow them to cool. Store the peppers in the refrigerator until needed.
- For the brownies:
Preheat the oven to 180°C. In a bowl, combine the chili chocolate, dark chocolate, and butter. Melt the mixture using the bain-marie method or in the microwave.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs with white and brown sugar until creamy and frothy. Add the melted chocolate and mix well. Gradually add the flour and chili, gently folding until the batter is well combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. Once baked, remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool.
- Prepare the topping by melting the chocolate and chili powder using the bain-marie method. Once the brownies are completely cooled, cut them into 8-10 round pieces using a cookie cutter. Cover each brownie with the melted chocolate and garnish with a mini chili pepper.
Amount Per Serving Calories 608Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 129mgSodium 252mgCarbohydrates 73gFiber 4gSugar 53gProtein 8g
I strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. I encourage you to make your own calculations using your preferred nutrition calculator.