This vegan Tuscan soup (Zuppa Toscana) is a delicious and comforting white bean soup that’s also very easy to make. It’s rich in proteins and good carbs and perfect for lunch!
Zuppa Toscana is another classic from the Italian cuisine and it is a hearty white bean soup with a subtle spicy flavor. This soup recipe originates from the Tuscany region in Italy and it is traditionally made with zucchini, Cannellini beans, potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, kale or spinach, tomato pulp, olive oil, chili, and bacon.
There is also an American version for this Italian soup, made with Italian sausage and heavy cream and without carrots, celery, bacon, zucchini or tomato pulp. It’s higher in calories than the original recipe.
The American version of Tuscan soup sounded better to me, so this was the version that inspired me to make this vegan Tuscan soup. I used TSP (textured soy protein) granules to mimic the Italian sausage bits and coconut milk instead of heavy cream. The result was incredibly delicious as you can tell from the photos! 🙂
It’s time to stop worrying about what you’re going to eat! I created the meal planner app to help you! Get your personalized meal plan with delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly recipes! GET YOUR MEAL PLAN!
This is an easy soup recipe perfect for beginner vegetarians. It’s hearty and satisfying and can make up a great, comforting and healthy lunch. You can also use this recipe for meal prep!
Also, for those on a low-fat diet, this white bean soup is ideal, as I only used one tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil for the whole pot!
Hope you’ll give it a try and let me know how it turned out by leaving your feedback in the comment section below. 🙂
P.S. If you want to eat delicious and easy recipes every day and even get organized grocery lists, check out my meal planner app!
- For the vegan sausage:
- 50g textured soy protein granules
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, ground
- ½ tsp hot chili pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ cup hot water
- For the soup:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp hot chili pepper flakes
- 6 cups veggie stock or water
- 1 large Russet potato, cut into chunks
- one 400g can white Cannellini beans, drained
- 1 cup coconut milk, the thick kind
- freshly ground black pepper and sea salt, to taste
- 2 cups greens like kale or spinach, chopped
- Make the vegan sausage bits.
- Combine all the vegan sausage ingredients in a medium bowl and let the TSP granules soak for about 2 hours. Drain them and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot, over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and chili pepper flakes. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the soy sausage bits and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Pour in the veggie stock or water and bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling, add the potatoes and cook until they are soft, for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and boiled white beans from the can. Let it simmer. Add fresh pepper and salt to taste and stir in the chopped greens right before serving, when the soup is hot.