I invite you on a sensational culinary journey with this irresistible recipe for cottage cheese waffles. These cottage cheese Belgian waffles are a real delight, with their crispy and fluffy texture and the unmistakable taste of fresh cheese.
The idea behind this cottage cheese waffle recipe came from the desire to try another savory waffle recipe (the first being my leftover rice waffles!) but to also make it rich in protein, ideal for those who are on a diet or work out.
The fact that these waffles with cottage cheese are also gluten-free, thanks to the use of oats, makes them suitable for those with gluten intolerance or for those trying to reduce gluten from their diet.
Regardless of whether you chose to make these savory cheese waffles for their protein intake or simply because they look delicious, this recipe promises to be an unforgettable taste experience.
Try also sweet waffle recipes:
Ingredients for cottage cheese waffles
- Oat flakes:
A. Oatmeal adds a wonderful texture and contributes to the fact that the waffles will be fluffier and naturally gluten-free.
b. Tip: Use thin or ground oatmeal to obtain a finer texture in the dough.
- Cottage cheese:
c. Cow’s cheese adds creaminess and a special aroma, but also a bit of freshness.
d. Tip: You can experiment with different types of cow’s cheese, such as the freshest or with a higher fat content, to obtain different taste options.
e. Eggs act as a binding agent and give the waffles a fluffier texture and a rich taste.
f. Tip: If you want to reduce fat/calorie intake, you can only use egg whites instead of whole eggs.
- Baking powder:
g. Baking powder is essential to make the waffles rise and become fluffy.
h. Tip: Make sure that the baking powder you use is fresh and has not passed its expiration date.
i. Butter gives waffles a delicious taste and contributes to their crispy texture on the outside.
j. Tip: You can melt the butter and let it cool a little before adding it to the dough to avoid coagulation if it is too hot.
Savory topping ideas for cheese waffles
When it comes to delicious toppings for these low carb cottage cheese waffles, you have many options to add a touch of freshness and crunch. Here are some suggestions to perfectly complement the taste of your waffles:
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt adds a creamy texture and a slightly sour note that goes perfectly with the salty taste of the waffles. You can add a generous teaspoon on top for extra freshness.
- Fresh arugula: Arugula has a slightly spicy aroma and an unmistakable crunch. Place some fresh arugula leaves on the waffles to bring a touch of freshness and a vibrant color.
- Avocado slices: Creamy avocado is an excellent option to complement the taste of waffles. Slice a few thin pieces of avocado and arrange them nicely on the waffles.
- Chopped walnuts: Chopped walnuts add a crunchy texture and a rich taste. Sprinkle some chopped walnuts on top of the waffles for a delicious contrast.
- Sauces or dressings: You can experiment with different sauces or dressings, such as a yogurt sauce with garlic and greens or a mustard and honey dressing, to add a touch of unique flavor.
Addition of extra proteins
For those who focus on protein intake and want to turn these salty cottage cheese waffles into an even more protein-rich option, there are a few simple ways to do so.
- Chicken breast: Cut small pieces of cooked and seasoned chicken breast and mix them carefully in the waffle batter.
- Smoked tofu: Smoked tofu, cut into small pieces or cubes, can bring a slightly salty note and an extra waffle texture.
- Smoked salmon: For a refined taste and an excellent source of protein, add pieces of smoked salmon to the dough. Also check out my vegan salmon recipe, if you need a vegetarian version for this.
These suggestions will turn your savory cottage cheese protein waffles into a memorable protein experience. With attention to details and your personal preferences, you will get really tasty and nutritious waffles. Enjoy every portion!
How to make cottage cheese waffles
- ¾ cup fine oats
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the topping:
- ½ cup creme fraiche or Greek yogurt, for serving
- In a blender, add all the ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Transfer the composition to a bowl and leave it for about 10 minutes, to become denser.
- Heat up the waffle maker.
- Pour the mixture into the machine, enough to make a waffle.
- Cook the waffles until browned, 3-4 minutes each.
- Serve them with yogurt, creme freiche or any other topping you want
Amount Per Serving Calories 625Total Fat 42gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 297mgSodium 759mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 3gSugar 8gProtein 32g
I strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. I encourage you to make your own calculations using your preferred nutrition calculator.