This is the perfect butter beans stew recipe! I learned it from my mother and I’ve been cooking it ever since!
It’s time to stop worrying about what you’re going to eat! I created the meal planner app to help you! Get your personalized meal plan with delicious, healthy, and budget-friendly recipes! GET YOUR MEAL PLAN!
This butter beans stew recipe goes straight to the first place on my favorite recipes list! It is absolutely perfect! I like butter beans a lot and I have tried different recipes with them, but this one has the ideal combination of flavors and textures.
I learned this butter beans stew recipe from my mother. Cooking beans the right way really makes the difference! You’ll get extra-soft and buttery beans and an awesome thick sauce for the stew. Also, fresh tarragon is amazing! I always add it to my beans recipes. You can use pickled tarragon as well. It’s even better! Dry tarragon is not that flavorful, but if you really can’t get any fresh one, use dry and double or even triple the quantities.
- 500g dry Lima Beans (Butter Beans) *soaked overnight, optional
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 tbsps chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tbsps sweet paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- ⅓ tsp ground pepper
- sea salt, to taste
- Boil the beans for 2 hours (half this time if previously soaked). Change the water at least 2 times. Don't skip this step! Beans are hard to digest and if you didn't soak them overnight they will release bad enzymes into the boiling water, which will cause bloating.
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the drained beans.
- Add water just enough to cover the beans.
- Add bay leaves, pepper, salt, fresh tarragon, chopped garlic and paprika.
- Cook for half an hour.
- Serve and enjoy this flavorful dish!