Change language / Schimba limba: Română
Make this delicious vegan shawarma recipe with grilled Portobellos perfectly marinated, fresh veggies and a smooth, tahini-rich hummus, all wrapped up in a pita bread!
If you are a food lover and keen on the Middle Eastern cuisine, you must be well aware of the Shawarma recipe. Or if you live somewhere in a Balkanic country, then you’ve probably seen shawarma fast foods at every street corner and got tired of it by now! 🙂 Shawarma is an incredibly popular recipe and for a good reason! It’s so delicious and a preferred fast food meal by many, thus this is the main reason why I decided to create a vegan version of it so we can all enjoy this awesome dish.
The traditional shawarma recipe is made with meat (poultry, lamb or beef), veggies and sauces all wrapped in a pita bread. It usually contains cucumber, tomato, shredded cabbage, herbs and sometimes even tabbouleh. You can also combine it hummus and tahini or make it similar to the Greek gyros and add some yogurt.
This Middle Eastern recipe originated in the 19th century during the Ottoman Empire period in Turkey. The preparation process of shawarma is grilling a vertical spit of stacked meat slices and cutting them in small shreds with a special knife. Then the pita bread is drizzled with sauces, veggies are added, meat and everything is wrapped together. Shawarma basically means “turning” in Arab as a reference to the rotating grill that’s used to make it.
I wanted to make a healthy vegan shawarma recipe, with no frying, no heavy sauces and of course, no meat! 🙂 The result exceeded my expectation. Oven grilled Portobellos, previously soaked in a marinade are the perfect healthy substitute for meat! I loved it and hope you’ll enjoy it too! 🙂
P.S. Try this falafel wrap too! You’ll love it!
- 5 large Portobello mushrooms
- For the marinade:
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- white pepper to taste
- For the wraps:
- 4 pita wraps
- 2 to matoes, sliced
- 1/2 large cucumber, sliced
- lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup hummus
- 2 Tbsp parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 4 tsp za'atar
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the marinade. Dip the mushrooms in the marinade and turn each piece to coat them evenly.
- Spread the mushrooms on the baking tray, in a single layer and bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Take the mushrooms out of the oven, slice and put them back to broil, for 4 or 5 minutes more. Let them cool a bit.
- While the mushrooms are baking, prepare the sauce by mixing all the sauce ingredients in a small dish.
- To assemble the wraps, spread 2 tablespoons of hummus on each wrap and sprinkle with zaatar Divide the mushroom slices between the wraps. Top with tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, white sauce, and parsley. Roll up and enjoy.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g