This clear veggie soup with semolina dumplings is the perfect veggie soup for the cold season! It will instantly warm you up and make you feel better!
This clear veggie soup with semolina dumplings is one of my favorite childhood lunch meals. My mom and grandma always used to call this a healing soup. It instantly made me feel better! 🙂
This clear veggie soup has always been just perfect after an exhausting play time outside when I was little. It is also especially good when having a sore throat or a cold. Packed with tons of fresh chopped parsley it is also a good source of vitamin C!
Semolina dumplings are very tasty and combined with flavorful carrots and potatoes turn this clear veggie soup into a hearty and very filling meal.
Also, in the recipe below, you’ll find some tips and tricks on how to make the perfect semolina dumplings. It may be a little difficult at first, but I’m sure you’ll get it right! 😉
Clear Veggie Soup with Semolina Dumplings
- 2 eggs
- 10-12 tbsp semolina flour
- 1-2 tsp sunflower oil
- sea salt to taste
Clear Veggie Soup
- 1-2 carrots sliced or cut in chunks
- 1-2 medium potatoes cubed
- 1 onion cut in chunks
- parsley LOTS! for garnish
- ground pepper
For clear veggie soup:
- Fill a pot with water and add carrots, potatoes, onion, sea salt and oil. Let them boil until tender, for about 20 minutes.
- Remove onion.
For semolina dumplings:
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy.
- Add egg yolks and a pinch of sea salt and mix.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of semolina at a time and mix well until you've incorporated almost all semolina.
- Here's the trick! You have to check the dough's consistency. It has to be just perfect, not too thick and not too creamy (I think that 10 tbsp are just right for 2 medium eggs).
- Add 1 tsp of oil and mix well.
- In a large pot, add water and bring it to a boiling point.
- Fill one glass with cold water and keep it aside.
- Dip the spoon in the glass of cold water every time before using it to create the semolina dumplings. 1 semolina dumpling = 1 tablespoon
- Take 1 tbsp of dumpling mixture and place it carefully in the boiling water.
- After you finished adding all semolina dumplings in the pot, add some more cold water so it won't be bubbly.
- Cover with a lid and let them boil for 8-10 minutes, over low heat.
- When the semolina dumplings are ready, place them in the veggie soup.
- Garnish with lots of fresh parsley!
VERY IMPORTANT! When adding the semolina dumplings in the boiling water, the water must be still; in order to be this way you will have to add some cold water each time before adding the dumpling.
Want to try other recipes using semolina? Check out this simple & delicious dessert recipe: Semolina Pudding with Blueberry Jam.