This Hungarian vegetarian paprikash recipe was adapted from the traditional meat-based recipe and made healthy! Paprikás is a vegetable stew with dumplings and paprika spices.
I learned how to make this Hungarian vegetarian paprikash recipe from my mother. She used to make it with chicken, but since we all adopted a vegetarian diet she decided to adapt all her favorite recipes to this new lifestyle.
Paprikash is a spicy Hungarian recipe that I love! My grandma used to make this when I was little, the meat-based version of course. Because I missed this recipe so much, I decided to make it vegetarian and it turned out really great! I must honestly say that I like this Hungarian vegetarian paprikash version so much better than the original one.
- 2 eggs
- sea salt, to taste
- 6-7 tbsp whole wheat flour, or more; the consistency has to be a little bit thicker than sour cream
- 1 big carrot, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 Capia peppers, chopped
- 1 can (400g | 14oz) peeled tomatoes
- 2 Tbsps whole wheat flour, dissolved in 1 glass of cold water (add flour first, then pour water over it)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp hot paprika
- 2 Tbsps oil
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt, to taste
- Fill one pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Whisk the egg whites until foamy.
- Add egg yolks and salt.
- Sprinkle one tbsp of flour at a time over the whisked eggs and incorporate.
- When the consistency is creamy you’re done.
- Now to the cooking part:
- Place a glass filled with cold water right beside you.
- Take about 1/2 tbsp of dough and slowly place it in the boiling water. The dough will slip off the tablespoon. Don’t fill the whole tablespoon because the dumplings will double their size.
- Dip the tablespoon in the glass with cold water.
- Repeat the process.
- Cover with a lid and let them boil over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- When ready, remove from heat and leave them in the pot until you finish the stew.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add chopped onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped peppers and sliced carrots.
- Add salt, pepper.
- Pour over 1/2 cup of water (just enough to cover all ingredients).
- Cover with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add chopped tomatoes, bay leaves and hot and sweet paprika.
- Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add dissolved flour and stir for 2 minutes until incorporated.
- Remove from heat and add chopped parsley.
- Add dumplings and stir.
Amount Per Serving Calories 299Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 62mgSodium 229mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 8gSugar 5gProtein 11g
I strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. I encourage you to make your own calculations using your preferred nutrition calculator.