This quick and easy zucchini dal recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes! Enjoy this simple, comfort meal with a side of rice or some flatbreads.
I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the Indian cuisine (Lebanese food aficionado here! 😉 ) but I do enjoy a good curry or dal from time to time. In case you are not familiar with this kind of recipe, you should know that dal or dhal is basically a lentil stew. Depending on its location in India, dal can be also made from mung beans – mung dal – or split peas – chana dal. It always has an earthy tone, with vibrant yellow colors or dusty green shades.
Despite the many varieties of Indian dal, the basics of this recipe remain the same. You can be creative and add different other veggies or greens to it, such as spinach, kale, eggplant, peppers, carrot, etc.
This zucchini dal recipe is extremely easy to make. You can see the preparation part in the video below. All you have to do is chop some veggies, and red lentils, water and spices, simmer for 20-30 minutes and that’s it! You can eat this with some flatbreads or add a side of rice to it.
If you want to try more Indian-inspired recipes, check out my eggplant dal and dal kofta recipes. Also, I recently started posting on my YouTube channel. I post weekly, every Thursday. Don’t forget to Subscribe and give the videos a Thumbs Up if you like them! Your support is what keeps me going! 🙂
- ⅔ cup red lentils
- 2-3 cups water
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tsps curry powder
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsps oil
- optional - chopped scallions or fresh parsley, for garnish.
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Add the chopped pepper, zucchini, and onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add red lentils and water. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and cook on low-medium heat until the lentils are soft - 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve over some basmati rice with chopped scallions or parsley on top.