This vegan tortilla casserole reunites all the incredible flavors of the Mexican cuisine in a single dish! It’s also quick, simple and super delicious!
Tacos, quesadillas, fajitas, burritos – there are so many authentic Mexican dishes that are made with tortillas, it’s no wonder this international cuisine also includes a delicious dish called a tortilla casserole!
A tortilla casserole is very similar to a lasagna, but instead of pasta sheets it has tortillas and the rest of the ingredients are as Mexican as they can be – minced beef, tomatoes, black olives, fresh chili peppers and everything else your heart desires. Of course, there are some specific variations from the traditional recipe. For example, a chicken tortilla casserole is made with chicken meat instead of beef and tomatoes, black beans, corn and, of course, lots of cheese! The chicken tortilla is very popular in the Tex-Mex cuisine and it’s just as delicious as the beef one.
A tortilla casserole is a family favorite, made by Mexican mothers and grandmothers for lunch or dinner and enjoyed by the entire family, from adults to little children. The reason for this is because the tortilla casserole is super filling, tasty and filled with all those Mexican flavors we all love. It can easily feed a crowd and once you try it, you will understand how delicious it can be!
The process of making it is crazy simple as well, as you only need to layer the meat, corn tortillas and other ingredients, shred as much cheese as you want on top, put everything in the oven for 10 minutes and voila – your perfect lunch or dinner is ready in no time! If you don’t like corn tortillas or you don’t have them on hand, you can substitute it with corn chips and it will be just as good.
One of the things that I love most about this tortilla casserole is its versatility, as you can even make it with ingredients that you already have in your fridge or pantry. If not, don’t worry – you can twist and change this recipe as you please. The results will be one of the most comforting and delicious Mexican dishes, I assure you!
I recommend you add this vegan casserole recipe to your meal prep plan, as it freezes perfectly and you can reheat it in the following days. It’s also a great choice for a weeknight dinner, as the preparation is quite fast and the baking only takes 10 minutes. Dinner will be ready in no time!
For my vegan tortilla casserole, I used soy chunks in order to mimic the minced beef, to which I added corn chips, lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, some jalapeno slices and some vegan sour cream to top it all! If you wish, you can substitute some of the ingredients with other things that you like such as sweet corn, black beans, avocado etc.
I chose to replace the corn tortilla with corn chips for some extra texture, while still preserving its Mexican authenticity, but you can use which one you prefer. Regardless of what you choose to fill it with, this tortilla casserole will definitely impress everyone at the table!
- For the “ground beef”
- 1 cup TSP - textured soy protein chunks, small
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup hot soy milk
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- For the layers:
- 6 small corn tortillas or 1 cup corn chips
- ¾ cup soy sour cream, vegan
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 2 to matoes, chopped
- 1 cup vegan cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup black olives, sliced
- 1 Tbsp sliced jalapenos
- In a medium bowl, add the soy chunks and the seasoning and stir to combine. Pour the hot water and milk and stir again. Let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for about 4 minutes. Add the soy chunks, stir to combine and saute for 1 more minute. Turn the heat off, cover and let sit for about 2 minutes, so the soy “meat” can absorb the flavors.
- Transfer the soy mix to a casserole, then spread the corn chips and ½ cup of the cheese on top.
- Cover and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then spread some vegan sour cream on top.
- Top with lettuce, chopped tomato, cheese, olives and jalapenos.