Want to impress your guests or family? Cook this spicy carrot penne pasta with mustard-parsnip sauce and you’ll amaze even the pickiest eaters! Vegan, healthy and delicious!
First of all, this original carrot penne pasta recipe was made by my father! I was really amazed because he usually doesn’t cook light, fresh recipes, as he’s more a “comfort food” type of cook. This carrot penne pasta recipe is very different from his usual pasta recipes and that is why I liked it so much. You’ll absolutely love the taste and textures! It’s abundant with flavors and all of them blend so well together.
Parsnip is really amazing! We recently started using it more in recipes. I used to add it only in soups, but now I see what I’ve missed! This parsnip-mustard sauce is a keeper! You can use it as a dip or spread or even as a standalone pasta sauce.
I guarantee you’ll love my dad’s carrot penne pasta dish. I ate double servings!! It’s a super healthy, low fat, vegan recipe you’ll love, plus you can easily make it gluten-free too!
P.S. You should also try my Cheesy Spaghetti with Dill and Green Pepper Sauce recipe! It’s from my “not-yet-vegan” times but it’s still one of my favorites! Also, Julia made an awesome carrot pasta recipe on her blog. You should check it out! The ginger-lime peanut sauce sounds amazing!
Spicy Carrot Penne Pasta with Mustard and Parsnip Sauce
Want to impress your guests or family? Cook this spicy carrot penne pasta with mustard-parsnip sauce and you'll amaze even the pickiest eaters! Vegan, healthy and delicious!
- 400g (4 cups) whole wheat penne pasta, or GF pasta
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 parsnips, sliced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 2-3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 3 tsps good quality mustard
- 5 tsps tomato paste
- fresh chopped basil
- grated parmesan, optional
- Boil pasta for about 10 minutes.
For carrot sauce:
- Put sliced carrots in the food processor and blend until they turn into a paste.
- Heat some olive oil in a medium pan. Add carrot paste, mashed garlic cloves, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes then remove from heat.
- Mix with pasta and add fresh chopped basil and grated parmesan on top.
For parsnip sauce:
- Put sliced parsnips in the food processor. Add mustard and blend until smooth.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a small pan and add the parsnip sauce.
- Heat it just for a couple of minutes.
- That's it! Mix pasta with the carrot sauce and place the parsnip sauce aside.
Use smaller/younger parsnips in order to get a creamier sauce.
Amount Per Serving Calories 974Total Fat 19gCarbohydrates 169.4gProtein 31.2g
Thursday 19th of July 2018
This is one of the best pasta recipes that I ever tried. It has such a unique blend of flavors, I didn't even believe it at first. Plus, it's very easy to make! Definitely bookmarked.
Thursday 18th of October 2018
Thank you! :) Glad you liked the recipe!
Tuesday 8th of December 2015
Sounds yummy. Thanks for posting this.
Sunday 8th of November 2015
What sort of veggies or other foods do you recommend for dipping in the mustard-parsnip sauce?
Monday 9th of November 2015
Zucchinis, celery stalks, cucumbers, carrots, baked potato sticks, roasted celery sticks. My favorite would be the potato sticks. :)
Thursday 22nd of October 2015
Where does the mustard come into play? Add to the parsnip?
Wednesday 4th of November 2015
Yes, in the parsnip sauce. I missed that.. just adding it now. Thanks for noticin!